Apple season can be overwhelming. There are tons of gorgeous ripe Honeycrisps, Galas, Braeburns and Pink Ladies, and obviously we have to buy them all. Even the abnormally large Honeycrisps from the farmers’ market that no one can ever eat in one sitting seem like a perfect idea. Fall is dangerously charming, but there are easy ways utilize its fruitful charm. Apples that have seen better days because of bumps and bruises or those that looked good on the outside but were less than perfect inside can be used in this recipe. It’s relatively easy, adaptable, and a healthy option for dessert. You won’t be missing the extra butter, sugar, and fat of apple pie with these straight up fall flavors.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 7

7 apples cored and squared (I prefer Braeburn or Honeycrisp)
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
About 2 teaspoons cinnamon
About 4 teaspoons pumpkin spice (I use Penzey’s)
½ cup water

1. Chop about 7 apples into equal sized squares and place in pan.

Easy Pumpkin Spiced Apples

Photo by Molly Stein

2. Add a little less than ¼ a cup of water over the apples.

3. Coat apples in cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and vanilla. Stir.

Easy Pumpkin Spiced Apples

Photo by Molly Stein

4. Place the lid on pan and allow them to steam for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. When apples are tender and have broken down, give them a stir. Leave the lid off the pan and allow for the extra juices to cook off.
6. Add another layer of pumpkin spice, mix it up and take off the heat.

Easy Pumpkin Spiced Apples

Photo by Molly Stein

Ideas for serving: Keep it simple and top with whipped cream; add some vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt for a decadent dessert or spice up your breakfast with a vanilla yogurt, granola and baked apple parfait.

Easy Pumpkin Spiced Apples

Photo by Molly Stein

Tip: Mix in raisins or chopped up dates while cooking for some added sweetness. For nut lovers, add in some toasted pecans or walnuts.