Summertime? Seafood? The Maldives?

Yes, this is legit and no, you’re not dreaming.

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

This shouldn’t come as a surprise and I don’t have to tell you that the Maldives is an amazing and must see vacation location. The clear blue-green seas and breathtaking views are to die for, and so is the seafood.

Since the Maldives is an island country, each island is home to one resort & spa. One of the two I had the pleasure of experiencing recently is Paradise Island Resort & Spa. It is located at North Malé Atoll on an island known as Lankanfinolhu (try saying that 5 times fast).

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

The Maldives definitely hits the spot when it comes to one of the most amazing food adventures out there. We were brought to the island with the promise of a fresh seafood lunch awaiting us. Hidden deep in the resort is a seafood restaurant called Farumathi, built above sea level, much like the private villas at Paradise Island.

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

Being seated was the hardest thing to do in a beautiful scenic restaurant like this one. We couldn’t fight the urge to step out beyond the glass panes surrounding it and taking in the scenery it offered just steps away from the meal table.

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

Farumathi features several specialty seafood dishes, such as their Asian-inspired seafood basket. It’s full of a variety of buttered seafood with Asian tartar sauce, Hong Kong style lobster (which is not your average lobster roll) and Singaporean chill crab.

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

The Maldives is known for their amazingly fresh tuna. This grilled tuna sandwich did not disappoint. Grilled to perfection and served between toasted buns, with a slight kick of flavour from a squeeze or two of lime.

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

Who doesn’t love a well-cooked prawn dish? The honey glazed prawns served at Farumathi was a hit and we couldn’t get enough. If the honey glaze wasn’t enough, they were also served with a delicious garlic butter sauce. Need I say more?

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

Side dishes are a priority here, despite the fact that the seafood is obviously the star of the show. They come in a variety of forms, from chips to fried rice and spring rolls. They complimented the seafood well and added to the freshness of the entire meal.

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

What’s a meal on the Maldivian coast without some cake by the ocean? *queue DNCE music*. No matter what the main course, ice cream or cake are always a good choice for dessert. So why not ice cream and cake? This chocolate cake with pistachio ice cream were a match made in heaven. The cake wasn’t too rich and made a balanced end to the meal.

Seafood

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

Have a fabulous meal of seafood galore at Farumathi, then step right out into this view overlooking the ocean that speaks for itself. You can’t beat that.

The Maldives obviously know what’s up, so here’s just another reason to go visit the beautiful islands by the Indian Ocean.