As a recently diagnosed celiac with a stubborn attitude, and a passionate love for food, finding the best options to keep my intestines healthy and happy in my city was an absolute must. So if you're a fellow celiac, gluten intolerant, or just living the gluten-free life, I advise you to listen up, so you can eat up!

Tio Pablo

beans, tacos
Liddy Gallagher

Mexican cuisine has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl, and Tio Pablo is hands-down the greatest Mexican food I have ever had. In addition to being completely authentic, and insanely delicious, Tio Pablo is a 100% gluten free restaurant! Being able to walk into a restaurant and have zero cross-contamination worries, and not even having the word celiac leave my lips is a wonderful feeling. So head on down to East Franklin and have a wonderful, worry-free meal, you definitely won't regret it!

WPA Bakery

Finding gluten-free sweets that actually taste like the real deal is probably the toughest part about the gluten-free diet. WPA Bakery offers gluten-free cupcakes, cookies, cakes, cheesecakes, and more that are absolutely delicious! If you're looking for some gluten-free sweets that taste exactly like their gluten-full alternative, WPA is the place for you! Also, the prices for the gluten-free options are completely fair, which as we all know, is rare! Hallelujah! 

The Daily

cheese, vegetable, lettuce, salad
Cailin Diberto

The Daily has a wide selection or absolutely delicious appetizers and entrees, with many gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian options! Most items on their menu, (even the calamari... thank god!), are either gluten-free or gluten-free optional! The menu is also super extensive, and has everything from tacos to pho-like bowls! An awesome spot for people of all dietary restrictions, and the servers are super knowledgable about celiac! As if the amazing food, servers, and fair prices aren't enough to pull you in, it also makes for a great dinner date spot! 

Baker's Crust

Wait what? The bread and baked good-filled restaurant you know and love has gluten-free options? You read that right! Baker's Crust offers a very extensive gluten-free menu, and they are very dedicated the making sure that your meal is safe for your consumption! They even list the ingredients in their gluten-free bread, pasta, and pizza crust on their menu! I won't lie, I may have jumped for joy when I found out that I can still chow down on my favorite chicken salad sandwich.

Mellow Mushroom

basil, mozzarella, spinach, pizza
Liddy Gallagher

Yes, yes, I'm well aware that Mellow is a chain across the country, but with gluten-free pizza this good, it earns a mention! As a pizza obsessed celiac, I'm always on the lookout for gluten-free pizza that doesn't taste like cardboard. The gluten-free crust at Mellow is so thin, crispy, and actually full of flavor! And, on top of that, they use a separate cooktop and separate ingredients, so you can eat pizza worry-free! Eating gluten-free in such a gluten-full environment is definitely scary, so it's impressive that Mellow Mushroom is so dedicated to keeping their non-gluten-eating customers safe! And plus, their gluten-free crust is now vegan!

Postbellum

Postbellum is beautiful wonderland. A delicious restaurant with amazing (and safe!) gluten-free dinner options, and a fun college town bar at night! Going to bars can be difficult as a celiac, especially when it comes to bar munchies. Being surrounded by greasy, amazing bar snacks that you can't have is seriously painful. My first time at Postbellum eliminated that problem! Their truffle honey, herbs, and parmesan fries are so mouthwatering that I could eat an entire basket by myself, (okay not could, I have, stop judging me!). Oh, and on Saturday and Sunday they serve gluten-free friendly Brunch! Postbellum, what can't you do?

Fresca on Addison

Fresca on Addison states it right at the top of their menu, almost everything on the menu can be made gluten-free or vegan! Although I am not a vegetarian, the entire restaurant is, and I have found that vegetarian/vegan restaurants tend to be sympathetic and understanding to us celiacs-they feel our pain with dietary struggles! Not only is the staff incredible, the food is amazing! Their chorizo tacos are the best potato tacos I've ever tasted, and their pizza tastes just like gluten-full pizza! It's pretty tough to tackle such different cuisines, but they do it perfectly.

The Pit and the Peel

The Pit and the Peel is located right on campus and it's an amazing before, after, or during (kidding!) class place to grab a bite. All of their smoothies are, you guessed it, gluten free! Not only are their smoothies much healthier than tropical smoothie, they're even tastier! They also offer breakfast and lunch sandwiches available with gluten-free bread! Their quinoa bowls are, for the most part, gluten-free, just be sure to double check with them on the status of the dressings! The prices are very fair, and let's be real, for us broke college kids, that's always the most important thing.

If you're looking for a safe, gluten-free environment, be sure to check out these hot spots in RVA! They are definitely not the only places in Richmond with wonderful gluten-free options, but in the four months since my diagnosis, these are my favorite go-to places to eat! Eat up!