When you're craving dessert, carrots don't immediately come to mind. But, since carrot cake milkshakes and waffles exist, I figured cookies could be in the mix too. Substituting maple syrup for sugar, coconut oil for butter, and almond meal for flour will allow you to indulge and feel full after eating less. These gluten-free, vegan carrot cake cookies are so tasty, you won't even remember they're also good for you.

Chewy Carrot Cake Cookies

• 2 cups almond meal
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 medium or large sized carrot
coffee, tea
Julianne Zech

Peel the carrot lengthwise and then chop into small pieces. Preheat oven to 350°.

seafood, rice, julienne, vegetable, sushi, fish, carrot
    Julianne Zech

Combine almond meal, coconut, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl and stir.

milk, oatmeal, sweet, rice, wheat, porridge, cereal
    Julianne Zech

Melt the coconut oil in the microwave.

sweet, egg, cream, milk
    Julianne Zech

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir in carrot pieces.

sauce, carrot
    Julianne Zech

Place the batter onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper in a cookie or disk shape.

Julianne Zech

Bake for 18 minutes, let cool, and enjoy!

oatmeal, carrot
    Julianne Zech

So here's the verdict: the cookies were delicious. Sweet yet natural and chewy with a smooth texture, these are a great way to up your veggie intake without even realizing it. They make the perfect dessert for the health-conscious foodie.