When someone says “I’m in the mood for a burger,” I immediately think of a sub-par meal consisting of overcooked meat and a top bun so greasy I can see my reflection on it. I picture unimaginative, predictable burgers with nothing to go crazy over taste-wise.

Enter Boston Burger Company, with craft burgers bursting with the most unexpectedly tasty flavor combos, as well as appetizers and frappes served up in style. The cozy eatery with their industrial-style décor seems like something straight out of the New York City food scene transplanted in the heart of Boston.  

coffee, beer, pizza
Nicole Lacasse

What makes BBC so great you may ask? For starters, the restaurant’s impressively knowledgeable staff walked us through their extensive burger repertoire that boasts recognition from The Boston Globe and even Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Deep-fried mac & cheese balls, chicken wings and fully loaded fries grace the appetizer menu. And you can’t say you ate at BBC without ordering one of their larger-than-life frappes, reminiscent of an NYC Black Tap milkshake. We were lucky enough to try three of BBC’s most iconic items and our only real regret was that we couldn’t get our hands on one of everything.

First, we tried the bruschetta fries and despite knowing we had a burger coming, we couldn’t stop shoveling these fries into our mouths. BBC’s thick-cut bruschetta fries are topped with tomatoes, basil, garlic and a creamy pesto mayo. 

Nicole Lacasse
Nicole Lacasse
After chowing down on the fries, as per our waiter’s suggestion, we sampled the Hot Mess burger, which has been featured on the Rachael Ray Show. This burger was quite literally a hot mess (in the best way possible) and consisted of bacon, sweet potato fries, homemade thousand island dressing, diced pickles, jalapeño, red onion, lettuce and American cheese.

Our waiter told us he recommends this burger to anyone new to the restaurant, and as a first-timer myself, I greatly appreciated the nudge. 

Nicole Lacasse
Nicole Lacasse
BBC’s Freak Frappes are exactly as their name suggests. We were tempted by all the flavors on the menu, but ultimately opted for their seasonal pumpkin frappe. As soon as the drink was in our line of sight, our jaws dropped. Served in a tall glass coated in frosting and graham crackers, the frappe included a handful of seasonal appropriate candy and was topped with an entire slice of pumpkin pie. As for the frappe itself, it tasted like a light, yet creamy milkshake.
goody, pastry, cake, candy, cream, chocolate, sweet
Nicole Lacasse
Nicole Lacasse

All in all, BBC was one of the best burger joint experiences I’ve ever had. And although it’s the perfect place for any occasion where extravagance and over-the-top eats is necessary, I’d definitely stop in again “just because.”