While a box of chocolates as a Valentine's Day dessert is always sweet, it's never exactly surprising. If you're looking to really impress your date, go out of your way to bake a sweet dessert. It's sure to be appreciated and will make you stand out in their mind. 

1. Red Velvet Lava Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze

goody, mousse, pudding, jam, strawberry, berry, candy, pastry, cake, cream, sweet, chocolate
Beth LeValley

The classic red of this red velvet lava cake is perfect for Valentine's day. You can also say something sweet about how they make your heart gooey like the inside of the cake. 

2. Edible Bouquet 

sweet, sprinkles, cake, cake pop, lollipop, chocolate, candy
Peaches Memishian

Why get a bouquet of flowers when you can get something edible? This is a super cute and creative idea. 

3. Red Velvet Cookies

pastry, candy, cookie, cake, chocolate, sweet
Kelli Haugh

While these cookies were originally designed for Christmas, their vibrant red colour makes them perfect for Valentine's Day as well. 

4. Fondue

milk
Parisa Soraya

Fondue is actually really easy to make, since it's just melted chocolate and some tasty items to dip into said chocolate. However, it comes across as sweet and thoughtful, so it's perfect for Valentine's day. 

5. Red Velvet Fudge

pastry, red velvet cake, goody, strawberry, berry, candy, cake, chocolate, cream, sweet
Dylan Barth

Although red velvet seems to be the theme of all valentine's day desserts, it's not overwhelming because the red colour is so perfect for the theme. This red velvet fudge is no exception and the frosting is delicious. 

6. Chocolate Dreams Pizza

The strawberry hearts on this pizza are absolutely adorable. Plus, who doesn't love a dessert pizza?

7. Red Velvet Oreo Truffles

candy, chocolate, berry, sweet, cream, cake, strawberry
Meredith Ross

I've never met anybody who doesn't love Oreos, especially with truffles. The red and white design on these truffles also goes beautifully with roses. 

8. Red Velvet Hot Chocolate

chocolate, hot chocolate, cream, soup
Emily Gordon

Because Valentine's day takes place in the bitterly cold month of February, hot chocolate is always appreciated. If the red velvet isn't romantic enough for you, add some heart marshmallows. 

9. Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

strawberry, cream, candy, sweet, chocolate
Morgan Goldberg

Chocolate covered strawberries are a classic, but they're especially perfect for Valentine's day because strawberries are known to boost libido. 

10. Oreo Peppermint Cheesecake

cream
Gabby Phi

The mason jar presentation of this no-bake cheesecake is super sweet. The peppermint will also leave your breath minty fresh. 

11. Valentine's Day Cookies

sweet, gingerbread, cookie, chocolate, candy, cake
Sidney Uttam

Whether you have a heart cookie cutter or just want to cut cute shapes for your SO, these cookies can be as personal as you want them to be. 

12. Red Velvet Cookie Dough

cake, red velvet cake, candy, beet, cream, chocolate, sweet
Lindsay DeMunno

Alternatively, you can just skip the whole baking part and just give your lover some delicious red cookie dough. Don't worry, it's completely edible. 

13. Champagne & Strawberry Cookies

cookie, doughnut, cake, sweet, chocolate, candy
Max Bartick

If you want your cookies to be even classier, throw some strawberries and champagne into the mix. It's sure to lead to a romantic evening. 

14. Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes

goody, pastry, sprinkles, candy, sweet, cream, cake, chocolate
Zoe Zaiss

While I wouldn't make a full batch of cupcakes just for one person, cupcakes are the perfect Valentine's day food. Mini cupcakes are extra cute, so I would recommend those. 

Putting a little bit of extra effort into Valentine's Day can do wonders for a relationship. Baking is the perfect way to show the person you love just how much you care.