We all know how it feels to open up our cabinets in the weeks following Valentine’s Day and wonder what in the world we were thinking when we bought so many treats. On top of that, it’s impossible to resist snatching up all of the discounted chocolate overflowing the grocery store on February 15th.

And who was able to deny those special Valentine’s versions of our favorite snacks? Yeah, I’m talking about the limited edition Red Velvet Oreos. These red-tinted, cream cheese frosting-filled cookies called to me when I was strolling through Kroger a few days before everyone’s favorite commercialized holiday, and I just had to grab some.

For my friend’s Galentine’s Day party this year, I decided to put them to good use by making them into truffles. They’re essentially the Oreo equivalent of cake balls. Because how can you go wrong with Oreos, cream cheese, and white chocolate? That’s right — you can’t.

So, if you feel any shame when you open your pantry to find packages upon packages of these special Oreos leftover from your V-day festivities, use this truffle recipe as an excuse for buying them in the first place. Add some red sprinkles on top, and you’ve got yourself the easiest, prettiest, and most addictive dessert in the room.

Red Velvet Oreo Truffles

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour
  • Servings:About 25-30 truffles

• 1 package Red Velvet Oreos
  • 6 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 12 oz white chocolate melting wafers
  • Sprinkles (optional)
Photo by Meredith Ross

In a food processor, pulse Oreos into fine crumbs.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Add cream cheese and pulse until thoroughly blended.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Using a melon baller (or just your hands, if you want to get messy), form the mixture into balls of equal size and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for at least 30 minutes, or until firm.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Once the Oreo balls are frozen, microwave white chocolate melts in 15-second intervals until melted and smooth.

#SpoonTip: Be sure to use those intervals. The last thing you want is a bowl of burnt chocolate, because there’s nothing sadder than that.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Using a fork, dip Oreo balls in the white chocolate. Spoon chocolate over the top to make sure it’s completely coated, then tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to drain excess.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Transfer each truffle back to the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and immediately add sprinkles (if using).

Photo by Meredith Ross

Allow chocolate to harden, and serve — or just hoard them all for yourself.

#SpoonTip: If you won’t be eating them immediately (but let’s be realistic here), store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Photo by Meredith Ross