It's that time of year again: lights are strung around trees, wreaths are hung on doors, and of course mistletoe is placed where you least expect it. America has many Christmas traditions, including various traditions based on one's heritage. There's no single way to get into the Christmas spirit, although food is definitely a huge factor. Turkey and ham seem like popular American dishes, but what about the rest of the world

France—Bûche de Nöel 

Instagram photo by Open Oven de Pierina Battifora

open.oven on Instagram

Also known as a Chocolate Yule Log, this French classic is served for dessert at Christmastime. Made with vanilla, coffee grounds, butter, heavy cream, and cocoa powder, this treat sounds like the best post-Christmas dinner treat. 

Mexico—Chiles en nogada

Poblano peppers stuffed with meat are covered in a walnut sauce and pomegranate seeds. This dish is perfect if you're sticking to the classic Red-Green theme of Christmas. 

Italy—Feast of the Seven Fishes

On Christmas Eve, traditionally a day of fasting and abstaining from meat, Italians cook using seven different types of fish. In my family, we traditionally eat lobster, clams, scungilli, fish salad (shrimp, calamari, and scintilla), and baccala. 

Austria—Sachertorte

Created in Vienna for the Prince, this chocolate cake with apricot jam is Christmas delight in Austria. Not in Austria? No worries. You can create your own chocolate cake in a mug here.

Argentina—Vitel Toné

Instagram photo by Toscano Ristorante

toscanorest on Instagram

Italian in origin, this dish consists of sliced veal covered with mayonnaise-based tuna salad. Although it may not sound super appealing at first, it's a classic Christmas dish in Argentina

Germany—Stollen

A variation of fruitcake, this German dessert contains candied fruit, a bit of rum, lemon, and almond paste. Stollen is also perfect for breakfast the day after Christmas with a cup of coffee. 

Finland—Porkkanalaatikko 

Quite a mouthful, this dish is the Finnish take on sweet potato pie. Made with carrots and rice, Porkkanalaatikko is a hearty and flavorful traditional Christmas dish. 

England—Mince Pies

A mix of mincemeat, apple, orange zest, and brandy never looked so good. These little pies are also a special Christmas treat in Australia. I'll take two, please.

India—Kulkuls

Deep fried, these Indian cookies are made with coconut milk, which adds just the right amount of sweetness to this crunchy dessert. 

Hungary—Beigli

Poppy seed cake can be found everywhere in Hungary during the Christmas season. Sometimes, walnuts are also used as a filling for this pastry. 

Japan—KFC

Yes, you read that correctly. In the 1970s, KFC made such a successful TV commercial that since then it's a Japanese tradition to grab a bucket of fried chicken on Christmas day. The Japanese definitely know what they're doing.