We’ve all heard about how good almonds are for us–they’re jam-packed with healthy fats and relatively low in calories. But sometimes we want something more than just a crunchy midday snack, and luckily there are plenty more ways to enjoy almonds.

1. Almond Milk

P5070003

Photo by Davana Bolton

P5070005

Photo by Davana Bolton

For the dairy-free, almond milk is a godsend. For the average consumer, it’s still an excellent option. Almond milk is flavorful, has fewer calories per cup than the average soy milk, offers way more calcium than cow’s milk, and these days it’s very easy to get. Recently, the College Avenue 7-11 began stocking almond milk, and Collegetown Bagels has offered almond milk as an alternative in lattes and cappuccinos for almost a year. Some cafes on campus are catching onto the fad as well: Libe Cafe in Olin Library and Atrium Cafe in Sage Hall will both make coffee drinks with almond milk on request. Try a hazelnut mocha with almond milk and once you see the difference the light nutty flavor makes, you won’t even want to go back.

In addition, almond milk comes in rectangular cartons which do not require refrigeration until being opened. Dorm-dwellers, rejoice! Now you can stock up on milk without having to worry about playing Tetris in your mini-fridge. Awesome.

Oh, and before you ask: the only way to milk an almond is “carefully.”*

*Or by soaking almonds in water, grinding them up, and straining the mixture through a cheesecloth. Recipe here.

2. Almond Meal/Flour

P5070014

Photo by Davana Bolton

Untitled

Photo by Davana Bolton

Almond flour isn’t like a typical grain flour. The particles are usually much larger and crunchier. Is this a texture you’d want in crêpes? Maybe not. But in pancakes, muffins, or pie crusts? Absolutely! Almond meal can easily be used as a gluten-free substitute for graham cracker crumbs on the bottom of a cheesecake. It also gives a moister and chewier texture to muffins. When more finely ground, it’s also one of the primary ingredients in macarons, a popular French sandwich cookie.

3. Almond Butter

P5070008

Photo by Davana Bolton

Almonds are delicious. Maple syrup is also delicious. Mix the two together and every other nut butter will pale in comparison. Although Justin’s makes many other varieties of almond and peanut butter including original, chocolate and honey, this is by far the best of the bunch. The label itself admits this too. It reads:

“People always ask me, what’s your favorite flavor? And I think they expect me to give some P.C. answer that I love them all the same, but I don’t because that would be stupid. Nuts can’t read, so whose feelings am I going to hurt? You’re holding what I consider to be the most perfect tasting nut butter on the planet, and I’m not afraid to say it. -Justin”

I love to use this nut butter on toast, apple slices, celery stalks, brownies, and even in cookies and ice-cream.

For more awesome uses for almonds, check out these links:

Breakfast Almond Raisin Bites

Almond Coconut Kind Bars

How to Make Almond Flour

All About Nuts

Granola With Almonds