DC is ranked as the nation's fittest city  – surely, you can't go around the city without seeing a group of people leaving SoulCycle or on a monument run. If you're not from the area (like most of us Georgetown students are), this whole fitness thing might have come as a shock once you stepped on the Hilltop.

But, as they say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Georgetown has plenty of fun and unique fitness classes that will make working out a little bit better. Who knows – maybe you'll find your new niche (and justify never going to Yates).

1. SoulCycle

A personal favorite of mine, SoulCycle is the ultimate basic-girl workout – but just because it's basic doesn't mean it's not effective. These workouts are like one giant party, equipped with weights, resistance, and lots of cardio. And yes, it is like a cult (if you can't tell from the swarms of cyclers decked out in SoulCycle apparel), but it is also a great workout.

2. DownDog Yoga

If you're in desperate need for a much needed exhale in the midst of hectic campus life, DownDog is perfect. Right outside the front gates, it's a great workout and escape, not to mention Greenheart Juice Shop is right inside the building. Best part? Your first week is free.

3. CorePower Yoga

A short walk from campus, CorePower combines yoga, strength training, and cardio all in one killer workout. Although they offer tons of yoga classes daily, their most popular is Yoga Sculpt, which is an all-body workout incorporating weights. And to boot, your first week is also free.

4. Barre3

Barre3 is a full body workout with only low-impact movements, so it's a great option when you're body needs to recharge. The "3" stands for a three-step sequence: hold, move small, and move big, that repeats throughout the hour-long workout. Located on the waterfront, it's only a little ways away from campus.

5. CrossFit

If you're up for a real challenge, CrossFit should be on your bucket-list. When hearing the name, you may immediately think burpees, push-ups, lunges, & throwing heavy weights all over the place, but in reality, this workout is completely adaptable to your body needs. Plus the people there are always supportive and willing to cheer you on. 

6. Fly Wheel

Although another spin class, Fly Wheel is much different than SoulCycle. With the calories and spin rate right in front of you as you work, you'll be able to see your results as you work. Not to mention it's much cheaper, so it's definitely worth the Uber or walk to Dupont or City Center to get there. 

7. Pure Barre

Focusing on the "problem areas," like hips, thighs, arms, and abs, Pure Barre is a great full-body workout. It's also low-impact and a perfect way to reduce stress when life gets too hectic on the Hilltop.

8. Orange Theory Fitness

If you're in the mood to really burn some cals, Orange Theory is the move. A high intensity workout, Orange Theory maximizes on heart rate to burn 500 to 1000 calories in just one hour, not to mention you continue to burn them throughout the day. What are you waiting for? Get your workout on.

When you're in the need to get in a good sweat, DC's fitness class scene has you covered. So ditch Yates and venture out to one of these awesome classes for a killer workout.