Damn, Maddy, back at it again with the exercise. Trust me, I’m just as shocked as you are.

SoulCycle

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

If you read my article on my encounters with CrossFit, you know I am not one for physical activity or sweat. In my continuous efforts to try and challenge myself this summer I got off my couch once again and headed to the trendiest “gym” I could think of, SoulCycle.

On a whim, I called my local SoulCycle studio and scheduled my first class for 5:30 on a Friday evening. I figured if I loved it, it would be a great start to the weekend. If I hated it, I still had the rest of the weekend to recover. It was a win either way.

SoulCycle

Photo courtesy of @soulcycle on Instagram

I spent the whole day mentally preparing for what was to come. When I walked in the studio, I was immediately taken back by the smell of grapefruit, not the normal gym BO I was expecting. The girls at the front desk immediately noticed me (I guess the newbies stick out) and helped me get my spinning shoes and locker situated.

#Pro Tip: If you’re going for the first time, go with a friend. It makes the whole thing less intimidating.

Now, the bikes are a different story. Fun fact, I don’t know how to ride a real bike. Yes, you read that correctly. I fell off once and that was the end of that, so getting back on a bike, even though this one was stationary, was an accomplishment in itself.

SoulCycle

After “clipping in”, the process of clipping your shoes into the pedals to avoid falling off (a process I was thankful for later), the room got dark, the music got louder and class began.

45 minutes of intense spinning, squatting, dancing and sweating later, I felt like a new person. I was quick to judge SoulCycle ~enthusiasts~ before my class, but now I had become one.

Before I got to class, I think I burned more calories stressing out about going than actually doing the exercise, but once I got there, I loved it. I have gone almost every day since that initial Friday evening spin. My bank account isn’t too happy with me but my body and mind have never felt better.

SoulCycle

Photo by Madelyn Bucher

That’s me after my class trying as hard as I could to stand upright because I honestly couldn’t feel my legs.

Overall Rating: 15/10. Would absolutely recommend.