Ever picked up lunch or dinner just to realize there’s no place there to eat it? Now that we’re enjoying sun-soaked summer days, you don’t have to wait for seats to open up indoors (I’m looking at you Sweetgreen, Ben & Jerry’s and Café Tu-O-Tu). Instead, take your food al fresco–a fancy way of saying outdoors.

Georgetown Waterfront

Georgetown

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

The waterfront is the way to go in this beautiful weather even though it is a bit more of a walk. There are multiple options for sitting: grass, benches and steps on the Potomac that all give you a great view.

Dean & Deluca 

Georgetown

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

There are a bunch of chairs in the alleyway beside Dean and Deluca on M Street, and no, you don’t have to buy D&D food to eat there (although the food is pretty good so that’s another possibility for lunch). Since it’s located in a bustling area, it is a prime spot for people watching.

Car Barn

Georgetown

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

There is a large area on the ground level of the Car Barn that not many Georgetown students know about. Unlike the esplanade or the Leavey patio, this patio is partially covered so it is a great spot for rain or shine.

The Lawn

Georgetown

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Our amazing lawn is perfect for more than just Frisbee, tanning and pretending to study. Bring out a blanket and have a picnic. Keep your head up though so you don’t get hit by a rogue Frisbee.

Old Stone House

Georgetown

Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress

Need a place to enjoy some ice cream or cupcakes while walking around M Street? There is a small yard behind the Old Stone House at M St. and Thomas Jefferson. It’s a great place for respite from the madness of Georgetown shopping and tourists.