Spoon University Logo
0CEF6B2A 94D4 4142 A61C E9115B372E18
0CEF6B2A 94D4 4142 A61C E9115B372E18
Reviews

7 Restaurants At CU Boulder Every Freshman Should Try First Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at CU Boulder chapter.

Welcome to the University of Colorado, Boulder – the land of late night pizza runs, random fat shack (link) trips, and loootttsssss of food options. “The Hill”, as it’s known here in Boulder, is full of diverse food options for when you just don’t feel like cooking or going to the C4C (and I don’t blame you). If you’re new to the school, or simply haven’t checked everything out yet, here are the seven places at CU Boulder you must try during your first semester.

The Corner

Known for it’s healthier options, Instagram-able bowls, and great service (it’s dog friendly!), this is the place to be. You walk in and everyone is smiling, having a great time, and enjoying their food. They have a variety of options – from their thai peanut buddha bowl with brown rice to their veggie burger with sweet potato fries, the possibilities are endless. I should warn you that almost everyone from greek life comes here and hangs out, so if that’s not your scene, this might not be the place for you. It’s the top of my “seven places at CU Boulder you must go to.”

Boss Lady Pizza

My personal favorite, just because of the online option of making your own pizza online (I always went with a vegan option). You walk in and smell the array of different pizza combinations right away. They’re known for their mac n cheese pizza, but they also have pizza with tater tots and ranch, penne pizza, and more combinations that will raise your cholesterol. This place was my go to as a freshman when it was 2 am and I needed a good slice of pizza.

Cosmo’s Pizza

Now, this is the pizza for those who want a classic slice. The common debate among Boulder students is Boss Lady vs Cosmo’s, and while I am firmly team Boss Lady, Cosmo’s comes in at a close second. They have all the classics – from margarita to pepperoni to meat lovers, this is the place for a good old fashion slice. It’s gotta be on my list of the seven places you must go to in your first semester.

Fat Shack

Ah, yes – Fat Shack. My roommate is a big fan of their half priced wings on Sunday, and their one dollar milkshakes, but it’s more than their deals. They’re open till four AM on the weekends, so when pizza isn’t cutting it for your drunk meal of choice, you can go here and grab a burger and fries. Go here with your best friend and indulge in a good old fashion burger – you won’t regret it (okay, maybe your skin and stomach will the next day). It’s a must for freshman who want the classic college experience.

Illegal Petes

Chipotle lovers rejoice – Boulder has the perfect option for your beloved burrito bowl spot! Illegal Petes has all the goods – from a potato combo instead of rice to the best queso you’ll ever eat, it’s a must. If you’re over 21, they have a bar with all your beverage needs. Of the seven places at CU Boulder you must go to, this one has to be the one I eat at the most often. They have healthy options, but you can also grab a bag of chips and queso when you’re feeling up for it. Of

Cheba Hut

I won’t lie, I’ve never eaten at this sandwich place, but my boyfriend has and cannot rave enough about it. In his words, “Cheba Hut gets the job done and it’s dank. I recommend the g13 if you’re hungry cause it’s bomb.” Definitely a sandwich place  to check out.

Half Fast Subs

Considered Cheba Huts competitor, I’m biased to Half Fast based on the fact they have so many options. There menu has 50+ combinations to try out, including plenty of vegan and vegetarian ideas for those of you out there who enjoy that. Their service is good, they have outdoor seating, and it satisfies you for hours. Of the seven places you must go to, this one is good for a quick, healthy-ish meal before class.

There ya have it – seven places you must visit during your first semester at CU Boulder. From crazy pizza combos to salads to sandwiches, I recommend crossing these places off your list. I frequent Boss Lady and The Corner most, but that’s just my opinion.

Spoon University Placeholder Avatar
Danielle Clark

CU Boulder '21

Hard working, passionate foodie with a love for health, fitness, wellness, and happiness