The Spoon Choice Awards celebrate eateries in college towns for providing the most delicious food and inviting environments to students in the area. All of the winners are chosen by college students at universities around the country.

College as a vegan or vegetarian can be tough. There’s often very few plant-based options in a school’s dining halls or cafeteria (another day, another block of tofu with a side salad). Grab-and-go snack options in vending machines or at on-campus snack stands often use some sort of animal product. Groceries are hella expensive right now, and even venturing off-campus to a local restaurant can result in a less-than-ideal dining situation for vegans.

Luckily, the restaurant world has evolved beyond mushy veggie burgers and vegetable platters with (vegan) dip. Nowadays, there are several more plant-based establishments. Even if a restaurant isn’t 100% veggie or vegan, there’s a better chance of being able to enjoy something on the menu that isn’t just a fruit cup. This list features vegan spots all around the nation, including fast-casual “burger” restaurants, all-day breakfast spots, plant-based bars and cocktail joints, authentic global cuisines (including Asian and Indian), and, of course, plenty of desserts (including vegan ice cream).

No matter what region of the country you’re in or what kind of dietary restrictions you may have, there are plant-based options for everyone on this list — and they’ve been nominated by veggie foodies at our Spoon chapters across the U.S. We’re here for all of the yumminess without the animal products.

Click on the map above to check out all the winners.

Design by Spoon University

Bay Bowls, Brunswick, ME

Bay Bowls offers acai, pitaya, and coconut-based smoothies and bowls for a refreshing vegan snack, meal, or treat. The bowls are always packed with fresh fruit, and the S.O.B., Tropicos, and Maine Bowls are definitely the ones to order.

Nominated by Bowdoin College

Veggie Galaxy, Cambridge, MA

Photo by Marcio Costa

Veggie Galaxy offers traditional diner comfort food, including all-day breakfast, made from scratch. All options are 100% vegetarian, and most dishes can be made vegan. It's the perfect spot for vegetarians looking for a greasy bite to eat.

Nominated by Boston University

Life Alive, Boston, MA

This plant-based cafe is a friendly spot for fresh veggie and vegan wraps, salads, and smoothies. The service is great, the atmosphere is fun. Plus, the menu options are delicious including the Green Goddess and Swami Bowls.

Nominated by Boston University

My Thai Vegan Cafe, Boston, MA

My Thai Vegan Cafe offers a wide range of meatless dishes, plus bubble teas. The vegan take on traditional Thai food, including pineapple fried rice and tom yum goong soup, makes it a fun and new option, especially if you’re bored of the same vegan options.

Nominated by Emerson University

Crave Nature's Eatery, Lawrence, NJ

One of the newer spots on the list, Crave Nature's Eatery was established in 2022 with a pleasant atmosphere and a wide range of plant-based options. Crave has plenty of veggie and vegan options on the diverse menu, which includes bowls and salads, hot paninis, sandwiches, smoothies, and desserts.

Nominated by The College of New Jersey

Yellow Rose Vegan Bakery, Maplewood, NJ

Founded by two long-time vegans (and SHU alumni), Yellow Rose makes all of your favorite baked goods 100% plant-based. It's a spot enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike, and people rave about the desserts — especially the doughnuts, pop tarts, and s’mores bars.

Nominated by Seton Hall University

Design by Spoon University

Deep Purpl, Chicago, IL

Photo by Deep Purpl

Nothing hits quite like a great acai bowl — especially one that’s totally vegan. Deep Purpl offers delicious plant-based smoothies and bowls, including protein add-ins, that are chock-full of superfoods and covered with fresh fruits and toppings.

Nominated by Loyola University of Chicago

elephant + vine, Evanston, IL

Photo by Kristen Mendiola Photography

elephant+vine is a fast-casual restaurant serving delicious food that just so happens to be 100% plant-based. The vegan milkshakes and house-made burgers are a must, in addition to the sandwiches, wraps, salads, and smoothies.

Nominated by Northwestern University

Roots Market Cafe, Valparaiso, IN

Photo by Roots

Roots is a hip cafe offering a variety of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free juices, salads, soups, and wraps. With fresh food, free WiFi, and a fun atmosphere, Roots is a great place to grab a smoothie and set up shop for an afternoon of studying.

Nominated by Valparaiso University

Globe Indian Food, Lawrence, KS

This family-owned eatery is located in the historic district in downtown Lawrence and serves authentic Indian cuisine. It offers plenty of flavorful vegan and vegetarian options, including fan-favorite Mysore masala dosa and vegetable korma, as well as gluten-free fare. 

Nominated by The University of Kansas

Seva, Ann Arbor, MI

Beyond its incredible variety of vegetarian comfort food, Seva in Ann Arbor is known as a “mom and pop” restaurant with more than half a century of great service and a laid-back atmosphere. Seva offers plenty of options for the plant-based foodie for a delicious, high-quality restaurant experience and daily drink specials — Margarita Mondays, for example — for all of our broke 21+ college student readers. 

Nominated by University of Michigan

Detroit Street Filling Station, Ann Arbor, MI

The Detroit Street Filling Station is a casual cafe that’s 100% vegan. It has a great variety of high-quality items, including soups, sandwiches, baked goods, and even cocktails — all sans animal products.

Nominated by University of Michigan

Woody's Oasis, East Lansing, MI

With delicious veggie and vegan options including falafel, mujadara, and samosas, Woody's Oasis is East Lansing’s top choice for Mediterranean eats. The portions are filling and fresh and accompanied by kind service. Plus, Woody’s offers freshly-made products such as hummus for purchase with a meal or to take home when the dining hall’s veg options are lagging.

Nominated by Michigan State University

Pure Green, Madison, WI

Pure Green Juice & Smoothie Bar offers freshly made juices, smoothies, and acai bowls that are nutritious, convenient, and simply yummy. Handcrafted smoothies, healthy bowls, and cold-pressed juices are packed with superfoods that make fueling up for lectures easy and delicious. Plus, the restaurant is allergy-friendly and doesn't skimp on toppings.

Nominated by University of Wisconsin-Madison

Design by Spoon University

Karma Cream, Gainesville, FL

Karma Cream is a cute, cozy coffee shop in downtown Gainesville that offers a variety of organic and vegan pastries, ice cream, and brews. It’s a great study spot, made even better by the motivation of iced coffee and a sweet treat after you finish that homework.

Nominated by University of Florida

The Bark, Tallahassee, FL

The Bark goes beyond your typical daytime smoothies and salads and features all-vegan food in a bar setting with amazing weekly events. It has a variety of vegan food, such as the beloved banh mi, to go with your cocktail during karaoke.

Nominated by Florida State University

Slutty Vegan, Atlanta, GA

This fast-food joint features all the hallmarks of a good burger place — loaded hamburgers, stacked sandwiches, and of course, fries. The sandwiches feature either Chik’n, or plant-based patties made with Impossible or Beyond Meat. Try the Fussy Hussy with Slutty Fries.

Nominated by Savannah College of Art & Design, Atlanta

Taqueria Tsunami, Kennesaw, GA

Taqueria Tsunami is a Latin-Asian fusion restaurant and bar serving tacos, quesadillas, and bowls. Though the menu isn’t 100% plant-based, it’s easy to avoid meat and customize to go completely vegan. Vegan fans love the Korean cauliflower taco.

Nominated by Kennesaw State University

Magpie Cafe, Baton Rouge, LA

Magpie is a contemporary coffee shop that’s perfect for studying thanks to cozy vibes and a variety of espresso drinks and teas, plus pastries, sandwiches, and salads. There’s plenty of vegan options, including sweet desserts and savory plant-based pastries.Nominated by Louisiana State University

Breads on Oak, New Orleans, LA

Breads on Oak in NOLA is a low-key organic café and bakery offering vegan breads, all day breakfast (!!), lunch, plus coffee, beer, and wine. The super cute spot has delicious seasonal items (hello, pumpkin cheddar biscuit) alongside menu staples such as a chickpea salad sandwich or avocado scramble toast.

Nominated by Tulane University

Nori, Austin, TX

Photo by Nori

Nori is a Japanese restaurant offering a variety of signature sushi rolls, nigiri, ramen, and more — and it’s all vegan. Skip the fish and enjoy great drinks and appetizers alongside plant-based rolls in an elegant setting.

Nominated by The University of Texas at Austin

Ipanema Café, Richmond, VA

Ipanema Café is a full-service, Black-owned vegan and vegetarian restaurant and bar in the heart of the VCU area. Reviewers love the attentive service, cozy environment, and delicious vegan options, such as the jackfruit bulgogi and Cowboy burrito.

Nominated by Virginia Commonwealth University

Design by Spoon University

Flower Child, Phoenix & Tucson, AZ

Flower Child offers a customizable menu of bowls, wraps, and salads with mix-and-match veggies, grains, and proteins suitable for vegan and vegetarian lifestyles. Nominators love that Flower Child is student-friendly, thanks to plenty of options for all diets, and a location that isn’t far from campus.

Nominated by Grand Canyon University (Phoenix) and University of Arizona (Tucson)

The Butcher's Son, Berkeley, CA

The Butcher’s Son is a vegan delicatessen and bakery offering pastries, coffee, and vegetable-based mains, and it’s been mentioned (and loved) by publications including Forbes and Eater. It’s the perfect New York deli experience if you’re plant-based, and the pastrami Reuben, gyro, and mozzarella sticks com highly recommended.

Nominated by University of California, Berkeley

Hummus Republic, Goleta, CA

The Hummus Republic is a build-your-own Mediterranean restaurant with plenty of customizable veggie options. Plus, you get great bang for your buck — the large portions can often last for two (or more) meals.

Nominated by University of California, Santa Barbara

Loving Hut Vegan Cuisine, San Diego, CA

Photo by Loving Hut

Loving Hut is, well, loved for its delicious plant-based meals made with natural, healthy ingredients. There are plenty of unique options on the menu for a variety of appetites, including Asian classics (pad Thai, drunken noodles, katsu curry), SoCal faves (California burrito), and fast-food remakes (Loving McNuggets).

Nominated by San Diego State University 

Morning Glory Café, Eugene, OR

Morning Glory is a vegetarian breakfast and lunch spot with a bohemian vibe featuring house-baked bread and a delicious selection of coffee. It has some great vegan options, including cinnamon rolls and gluten-free options, too. The amazing staff is conscious of dietary options and offers flexible ordering.

Nominated by University of Oregon

Cuppa, Ogden, UT

Cuppa is a fully vegan cafe with a laid-back atmosphere and cozy coffee shop vibes that make it perfect for studying. The coconut tortillas and tofu scrambles are both delicious, and the matcha is amazing.

Nominated by Weber State University

Araya's Place, Bellevue, WA

Araya's Place is a vegan Thai restaurant (and bar) with a cute atmosphere and delicious food. The tom yum soup, potstickers, and curries, are all must-orders, plus the Thai tea. Ball on a (yummy) budget with the lunch special, which includes spring rolls, rice, a house salad, and house dessert, plus your choice of either a curry or stir fry main for just $15.99.

Nominated by Northwest University

Broadfork Cafe, Seattle, WA

Broadfork Cafe is a sustainable restaurant that partners with local, like-minded businesses and distributors (including Stumptown Coffee and Earthly Gourmet) to provide nutritious, delicious, and environmentally friendly food. The menu is 100% plant-based and includes hearty sandwiches, soups, and salads, plus a drink menu that includes locally-made kombuchas and ciders in addition to the classic coffees.

Nominated by University of Washington

Click here for more from the Spoon Choice Awards.

Header photos courtesy of Veggie Galaxy by Marcio Costa, Loving Hut, Elephant and Vine by Kristen Mendiola.