The new season of The Bear comes out in exactly a week, and I couldn’t be more excited. As someone who can definitely be television-adverse, preferring to binge shows with others and watch movies on my own, The Bear has always been an exception. I’m even able to rewatch it, which is completely out of character for me! This show is simply exceptional. Season 2 was the perfect follow-up to everything season 1 introduced us to, and leaves off on a perfect note for Season 3. In preparation for my most anticipated show of this summer, I want to recap the most important plot threads from season 2 of The Bear.

An Overview of Season 2

The stand-out feature of the second season for many is how it really expands on characters other than Carmy. Season 1 is pretty focused on him, with the occasional character development of Richie and Sydney. But season 2 really deepens our knowledge of the full cast. The season starts off with episode 1 titled “Beef,” showing some really great moments with Natalie, Carmy’s sister, integral for the eventual Berzatto lore drop. We also begin to get a glimpse into the Sydney and Tina dynamic which was one of my favorites throughout the season. In a space that is often not only male-dominated, but dominated by the worst aspects of misogyny, seeing this show of female solidarity in the kitchen was very heartening.

The two women’s bond only makes Sydney’s decision to send Tina and Ebra, possibly the most loyal cooks ever shown on TV, to culinary school all the more impactful. This happens in the second episode, “Pasta.” The kitchen’s most important baker, on the other hand, also gets some great development this season. Marcus gets a well-deserved trip to Copenhagen in episode 4, “Honeydew,” learning techniques from the swoon-worthy Will Poulter.

I will say, though, Marcus is a part of my least favorite plot line of the season — his crush on Sydney. While I see how it makes sense for the character, I’m unfortunately a diehard Sydney and Carmy shipper. Marcus’ failed confession, as devastating as it was for the character, will hopefully leave room for Carmy and Sydney to develop their own romance (especially after that iconic table scene!).

In episode 5, “Pop,” we see a continuation of the other detractor from the Sydney and Carmy relationship — Carmy’s old flame, Claire. I will admit, though, the two have chemistry, and Claire is able to soothe Carmy in ways others, even Sydney sometimes, can’t. In episode 8, “Bolognese,” too, amidst the logistics of the ever-approaching opening of the restaurant, Carmy realizes his feelings for Claire go deeper than he ever expected. Before the finale, during “Omelette,” Carmy has to struggle with just how much he’s willing to sacrifice for this relationship. Sydney confronts him on how Claire has distracted him throughout the season, and he agrees to set his feelings aside so they can open.

Carmy’s Backstory

While season 2 gave some great moments between the rest of the characters, Carmy undeniably remains our lead. My favorite bits of season 1 were the small glimpses we got of Carmy’s tortured past. Between his rigorous time at his previous restaurant with guest star Joel McHale and the cooking show dream sequence in the season finale, these were the moments I felt truly characterized Carmy the most.

Season 2 made good on these bits and pieces in episode 6, “Fishes.” Full of celebrity cameos, the tense family dinner was quite relatable to this fellow Italian. Cooking the Feast of the Seven Fishes is no joke, and the stress that boils over in this kitchen can be pretty true to life. The whole episode is expertly crafted, not only doing a great job at showing us where Carmy’s anger issues come from, but also giving us a long-awaited glimpse into Mikey’s, Carmy’s late brother, personality. As his death is the catalyst for the whole show, seeing an episode full of him was a long time coming.

Personal Favorite Scenes

To wrap things up, I want to do a rapid fire look back on some of my favorite moments from the season. Richie gets a lot of great scenes, particularly when he’s sent away for some professional training in episode 7, “Forks,” but my favorite scene would have to be when he’s jamming out to Taylor Swift in his car. The scene speaks for itself, and reinforces Richie as a dad who really is trying his best.

In episode 3, “Sundae,” Sydney ends up on a tour around some of the best restaurants in Chicago, gathering inspiration for The Bear’s menu. Not only do we get a great look at actual restaurants throughout Chicago, often even highlighting their own chefs, but the food we see Sydney trying looks insanely delectable. The pace of the episode almost feels slice-of-life-esque at points, and despite the stressful conditions surrounding her, it’s a relaxing series of scenes for both Sydney and the audience.

Lastly, I have to talk about that finale. In the titular episode, Carmy gets locked in the walk-in fridge during their first night of service. For such a control freak, this is perhaps the worst thing that could ever happen to him. Carmy ends up spiraling, blaming his lack of focus throughout the season on his love interest. Claire, of course, ends up standing outside at this exact moment, hearing the whole thing and running away. Every other character ends the season on a high, but this is a new low, even for Carmy. Season 3 has a lot to live up to, but everything that has happened prior to it has set it up to be perhaps the best season of TV in 2024.