It's September, school is back in session, some of the leaves are starting to change, and all of the fall commercials and pumpkin-flavored everything are in full swing. And yet, it's still super hot out and it seems like Mother Nature can't accept the changing of seasons (at least that's how it seems here in New York). Well, I can't blame her because I definitely feel the same way and I'm sure plenty of you do too. That's why I figured this is the best time to share my new favorite dessert, strawberry tiramisu.

This recipe all started because I have a mad obsession with tiramisu, and really wanted to have some over the summer. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the classic Italian tiramisu, I'm sorry. It's basically heaven-flavored coffee with cream, biscuits (known as Ladyfingers), and a generous coating of cocoa powder for a nice, elegant finish. 

The problem is, I don't like eating coffee or chocolate when it's super hot out, and prefer something fruity instead. And of course, at the time I was craving some oh-so-heavenly tiramisu, it was almost reaching 100 degrees. This resulted in my quest for an alternative recipe. My craving for tiramisu had to be satisfied despite the blazing heat. That is how I came across a strawberry tiramisu recipe from An Italian In My Kitchen and made a few changes to suit my needs. 

Strawberry Tiramisu

• Cook Time:4 hrs
  • Total Time:4 hrs 30 mins

• 3/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 1/2 cups mascarpone
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • Lemon zest
  • 2 packs ladyfingers
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 3 tablespoons orange liqueur - optional
  • 1 pound strawberries - halved
  • Cocoa powder
Jessica Henderson

Pour half and half into a small bowl and beat until it begins to set.

#SpoonTip: Be careful, because if you beat the cream for too long it will become too stiff, almost like butter.

Jessica Henderson

In another bowl, blend the yogurt, mascarpone, sugar, whipped cream, and lemon zest.

#SpoonTip: I like to create my own vanilla sugar by scraping some vanilla bean and leaving a whole bean inside with the sugar. I find that this gives the sugar and the tiramisu a little extra hint of deliciousness.

Jessica Henderson

If you decide to use both the orange juice and the liqueur, mix them together in a small bowl. If you're using only using orange juice, add 3 tablespoons of orange and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.

Take out a 9' x 14' baking dish and use one of the packs of Ladyfingers to create a bottom layer. Drizzle the orange juice (and orange liqueur mixture if you chose) on top of the ladyfingers.

Jessica Henderson

Put the mascarpone mixture on top, followed with a layer of strawberries.

Jessica Henderson

Repeat and add another layer of Ladyfingers, orange juice, and leftover mascarpone mixture.

Jessica Henderson

Cover the tiramisu and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. I find that the longer you let the tiramisu set the better the layer gets, so I usually leave it in the fridge overnight and enjoy it the next day. Once you're ready to serve, sprinkle a nice coating of cocoa powder on top.

Jessica Henderson

Strawberries are a summer staple, and for those of you who can't accept the changing of seasons just yet, you're probably wishing you can still have some. I am right there with you. But the weather is still pretty warm, and our dreams of summertime never ending can still soar for a little while longer. 

During your last few days of warm weather of the year, definitely try out this strawberry tiramisu recipe and reflect on all of the fun moments you had over summer vacation. Or save it until May when the summer season is beginning and you can officially celebrate strawberries during National Strawberry Month.