Tiramisu, Italian for “pick-me-up,” is a classic no-bake dessert worthy of its name. Easy, elegant and most importantly, delicious, it’s the perfect mood-booster to lift you out of the dark depths of finals season, and can double as a foolproof crowd-pleaser to round out a holiday dinner.

Fragrant, coffee-soaked ladyfingers are layered with mounds of dreamy mascarpone cream, then finished with a healthy dusting of cocoa for a stunning final presentation. Bonus: You can spike the whole thing with alcohol for a boozy — but still classy — treat.

While traditional tiramisu uses egg yolks, this college-student-friendly shortcut recipe nixes them to save time and effort. Don’t worry, the result is equally as delicious — rich, creamy and fully Spoon-approved.

Tiramisu

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:2 hours
  • Total Time:2 hours 30 minutes
  • Servings:9-12

• 16 oz mascarpone cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoon coffee liqueur (optional)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 24 ladyfingers
  • 1 cup strong coffee, at room temperature
  • Cocoa or grated bittersweet chocolate, for dusting

In a large bowl, whisk together the mascarpone, sugar and coffee liqueur (optional) until smooth.

#Spoontip: Try swapping out the coffee liqueur for rum, amaretto or Marsala wine, according to your taste.

In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.

Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until well-combined.

Lightly dip half the ladyfingers in the coffee and arrange them in a single layer on the bottom of an 8×8 in square pan. (We used a 6×9 in pan.)

#SpoonTip: Be careful not to dip the ladyfingers in the coffee for too long — less than a second will do — to avoid soggy cookies.

Spread half of the mascarpone filling over the ladyfingers.

Repeat with the rest of the ladyfingers, arranging them on top of the mascarpone filling.

Spread the remaining mascarpone filling over the ladyfingers.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Dust with cocoa powder or grated chocolate before serving.

Enjoy!

Photo by Isabel Wang