Now that we are well underway with winter and the holiday season is behind us, you may be stuck on meal ideas. Most people tend to go for hearty fare on these cold, dreary days. If you're looking for some recipes that are not only perfect for the chilly months, but are also vegetarian friendly, you've come to the right place. If you're at a loss for what to cook, fear not, these eight vegetarian recipes will help get you through winter, and warm both your body and spirit. 

1. Pumpkin Potato Soup

cheese, soup, toast, bread
Matt Volpe

Number one on the list of winter vegetarian recipes had to be soup. There's nothing like a bowl of warm soup on a cold day. If you're feeling Thanksgiving nostalgia, try putting pumpkin in your soup instead of in your pie. The blend of pumpkin and potato makes for a hearty, nutritious meal. Serve this dish with crusty Italian bread, or realistically some toast because we're college students.

2. Stuffed Acorn Squash

sweet, acorn squash, rice, dairy product, meat, vegetable
Clara Park

Squash is the ultimate winter vegetable. You can prepare it any number of ways, whether in soup, risotto, or just leaving it intact and stuffing it with yummy ingredients. Simply slice the squash in half and fill it with wild rice, celery, apples, pecans and dried cranberries. This recipe is easy to prepare and gets you some fruits and vegetables for the day. It's a win win.

3. Spinach and Mushroom Risotto

Risotto may not be your typical American comfort dish, but it's certainly perfect for a chilly winter day. It's not only creamy and rich, but also versatile. You can add almost any vegetable or herb to risotto. This recipe calls for spinach and mushrooms, which provide a "meaty" texture. And you can never go wrong with making it rain Parmesan cheese as a final touch.

4. Thyme & White Bean Pot Pies

One winter dish I miss as a vegetarian is chicken pot pie. It's a special moment when you break open the crust and the steam rises out. If you're like me and need an alternative, you can substitute white beans for the chicken. The beans are creamy and add great texture. This recipe is slightly more advanced, but is sure to impress your friends and family. So if you're looking to whip up a ~fancy~ dish, unleash your cooking skills and give it the good old college try.

5. Spaghetti and Pecan Meatballs

Many people struggle to find vegetarian recipes that can substitute their once favorite meat dishes. I promise this dish is so similar to actual spaghetti and meatballs it's scary. Now I know you may be thinking, how can pecans possibly be turned into something that resembles meatballs? You can achieve this by combining pecan meal with ingredients typically found in a traditional meatball recipe, such as breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and parsley. You would be surprised by how good of a substitute this recipe is for the real deal.

6. Cheese Stuffed Potato Pancakes

parsley, potato, sauce, vegetable, pork, chicken, meat
Kristen Kornbluth

Unfortunately Hanukkah is over, but luckily with this recipe you can make potato pancakes that are reminiscent of latkes, with a twist. This dish proves what we already knew: cheese and potatoes are a match made in heaven. There's nothing like cutting into something and watching a mile-long cheese strand hang from your fork. You can eat these potato pancakes with tomato soup to jazz things up, or just have them plain for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

7. Chili

vegetable, salsa, pepper, beans, corn, chili
Erica Sloan

Get the best of both worlds with this hearty and healthy dish. Chili will keep you full for days, whether you're outside in the snow or snuggled up in bed. This recipe also packs in a good amount of protein and fiber which makes it a nutritious meal. If you're really hungry, serve the chili over rice or make it Chicago-style and have it with spaghetti.

8. Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

parsley, sauce, casserole, cheese, vegetable, meat
Parisa Soraya

How can you go wrong with mac and cheese? It's a classic comfort dish that warms you up on those cold winter days. Adding butternut squash gets you a serving of veggies and some extra fiber. You can also step up your mac and cheese game by adding breadcrumbs on top to get a crispy crunch. Be sure to add this dish to your repertoire of vegetarian recipes.