America is known as the land of the free. However, our country places certain limitations on things, typically in order to protect us. This notion is applicable to the food we have on our grocery shelves. Many foods that are custom in other countries are banned on the shelves of America. 

We have compiled a list of 10 foods banned on our great nations lands. From larvae induced-cheese to killer fish, this list of foods are likely banned for a good reason (except #6, let's work on that one America).

1. Casu Marzu

This creamy cheese is a delicacy in other countries like Sardinia. However, it's banned on USA land because of how it's produced. According to some sources, it's made by placing fly larvae into Pecorino cheese in order to speed up fermentation. The larvae hatch which makes the cheese a nice, creamy texture, however, you have to dive in before the maggots die... EEEK. 

2. Horse Meat

Photo by Kyriacos Georgiou on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Oddly enough, horse meat is not illegal to consume. However, it's illegal to slaughter horses. Horse slaughterhouses aren't big in the USA, but in other countries like South East Asian and Eastern countries (such as China and Japan), it is very normal. 

3. Shark Fins

Photo by David Clode on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Despite the portrayal of Jaws, sharks are actually a protected species and shark finning is very illegal. Unlike with horses, it is illegal to harvest this food and consume it. The practice of shark finning is a cruel process that includes finning the shark and throwing it back into the ocean. In China, however, shark fin soup is a common dish served before a meal.

4. Japanese Puffer Fish

This fish is illegal to catch, harvest, serve, or eat. Basically the USA doesn't want you near this little guy and for good reasons. This fish can literally kill you if it's not prepared properly. This is due to the deadly amounts of tetrodotoxin in the fish, which can paralyze your body causing you to stop breathing. It doesn't seem worth the sushi to me.

5. Unpasteurized Milk

A video posted by Dad (@dadthebaker) on

Ah, the raw milk debate. The states are split on whether or not milk is allowed to be sold unpasteurized. This is due to the concern of raw milk containing harmful bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria. However, laws are different for other dairy products made with raw milk such as cheese and yogurt. 

6. Kinder Surprise Chocolate Eggs

A video posted by Andrea Antoni (@andiantoni) on

Ok, this one I'm a little upset about. I first discovered these fun-filled treats while on a family vacation in Mexico, and hoarded 10 eggs across the border. These tasty treats are banned in the USA due to safety concerns. The chocolates contain small toys in the middle that could cause the little ones to choke. Any way we can put a 18+ restriction on this one? I'm desperate. 

7. Absinthe

In 2007, a version of absinthe was made legal in the USA; however, it didn't last long and is now illegal. The original recipe had an ingredient called thujone, which for absinthe is what caffeine is for coffee... essential. So, absinthe makes the list of banned foods as many are upset that the real European deal isn't on US shelves. 

8. Haggis

A photo posted by Olive (@olive_to_eat) on

Haggis, a European custom, is illegal to import in the states as it contains sheep lungs. This ingredient is illegal in the states as it does not pass the FDA's food safety regulations. However, all it takes is a quick hop over the pound to try out this strange food. If you're skeptical, try it fried like Justin Bieber did.

9. Ackee Fruit

Even though it's the national fruit of nearby Jamaica, this fruit is illegal in the States. The fruit is safe to eat when properly boiled and prepared; however, if not, it can cause comatose or death. This is due to the excessive levels of hypoglycin A and B. This deadly fruit can be very dangerous if not handled correctly, which is why the US decided to ban it. 

10. Sassafrass Oil

Sassafras is a common plant to much of the USA. It is also the essential flavoring component in traditional root beer. It has been banned to Americans as it has been linked to being a major carcinogenic and can cause kidney and liver damage. Nowadays, an artificial flavoring is used in most root beers to try and replicate this flavor.  

There you have it folks, a complete listing of things you cannot have! If you're dying to get your hands on these items, you'll have to make a trip overseas because consuming one of these products could either cause you to pay the time or end up in a hospital bed. Seems like I'll just stick to my completely legal and tasty Micky D's.