I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for a classic key lime pie. I can't get enough of the tangy sweetness and the graham cracker crust. Add a side of banana ice cream and you've totally won over my heart. So there I was, dreaming of this delicious dish, when it occurred to me that things could be so much simpler. What if I just combined the two into a bowl of key lime pie ice cream?

I grabbed my blender. I waited impatiently for everything to blend, popped the mixture in a bowl, and dug a spoon in. The result? I can honestly say that ice cream pie tastes just as good as it sounds. The best part? It's vegan and a lot healthier than a traditional key lime pie, but tastes just as good (if not better). 

Key Lime Pie Nice Cream

• Prep Time:2 hrs
  • Cook Time:0
  • Total Time:2 hrs

• 3 frozen bananas
  • 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 graham crackers
  • Optional: 3-4 tablespoons coconut cream
sweet, bread, cream, banana, wheat
Jody Brimacombe

In a blender, combine bananas, the zest and juice of one lime, maple syrup, and coconut cream (if using). Whizz ingredients together on high-speed until creamy.

dairy product, cream, milk, sweet
    Jody Brimacombe

Transfer the nice cream to a small loaf tin. Using your hands, crumble the graham crackers over top. Use a spoon to mix the cookie crumbles into the nice cream.

bread, cheese, dairy product, cream, sweet, dough, cake
    Jody Brimacombe

Place the tin in the freezer, and chill the nice cream for 2-3 hours.

cheese, vegetable
    Jody Brimacombe

Remove the nice cream from the freezer, and divide it evenly between two bowls. Garnish with lime and more graham crackers to serve.

lime, cream, lemon, sweet, ice
    Jody Brimacombe

This key lime pie ice cream is perfect for those summer nights when you want something easy and refreshing after dinner. Add it to the menu for your next date night, or enjoy it solo. Key lime pie tastes good for occasion.