You ever go to make hot chocolate with the powdered stuff, and it just isn't hitting? What you're craving is the super creamy, intensely warm, wonderfully satisfying, most chocolatey hot chocolate you see in the movies. Not the thin, sad instant stuff that leaves something (everything) to be desired. For that motion picture deliciousness, you need this hot chocolate recipe.

All it takes is one simple trick to make the powdered hot chocolate taste so. much. better. Add a corn starch slurry. That's it. Just heat up your milk or water in a sauce pan, and whisk together the powder, two to three teaspoons of cornstarch, and a few tablespoons of water. Add the slurry to the liquid, and let it simmer for about five minutes. It'll totally change the texture of the hot chocolate, giving it the richest, creamiest mouthfeel. Yep, I'm using that word.

I got the idea from food content creator Shreya. She recently released a very delicious hot chocolate recipe that adds in a cornstarch slurry to add body. My recipe uses her genius addition but in a little bit simpler of a hot chocolate.

I also added a toasty marshmallow topping that is totally worth breaking out the stand mixer, hand mixer, or, for the brave, a whisk. It adds a pretty touch and melts in your mouth.

Thickest, Creamiest Hot Chocolate

• 1 cup milk
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Image by Felicia LaLomia

Heat the milk over medium-low heat in a sauce pan until simmering. Meanwhile, whisk together salt, cocoa powder, sugar, and cornstarch with two tablespoons of water. Mix the slurry into the milk. and simmer for five minutes until the liquid has thickened.

Image by Felicia LaLomia

Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Topper

• 1 egg white room temperature
  • 1/2 cup 125 grams granulated sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1/4 cup 2 fl oz water
Image by Felicia LaLomia

In a stand mixer, whisk the egg white on high until it reaches soft peaks, about five minutes. Meanwhile, heat the sugar, salt, and water on low until simmering. When the temperature reaches 240° F, remove from the heat for five minutes.

Image by Felicia LaLomia

Once the mixture has cooled, slowly stream it into the whipped egg white with the stand mixer on low. Don't let the sugar mixture hit the whisk. Instead, pour it down the side of the bowl. Once incorporated, turn the stand mixer on high until the mixture is thick and glossy with stiff peaks.

Image by Felicia LaLomia

Turn the oven on broil. Swirl a 1/4 cup of the marshmallow mixture onto an aluminum-lined baking sheet, one swirl per serving of hot chocolate. Broil until golden. Alternatively, use a torch. Place on warmed hot chocolate and enjoy.

Image by Felicia LaLomia