The first Pride flag was flown at the United Nations Plaza almost exactly 45 years ago on June 25th, 1978. Resembling a rainbow, the original design of the flag featured eight colors, but both pink and turquoise were inevitably removed from the flag due to higher costs and difficulty with obtaining the correct fabric for those colors. This created the six-colored flag we recognize today, with the overall rainbow design symbolizing hope and, of course, pride.

Besides the overarching message of hope, each individual color in the Pride flag, including the since-removed pink and turquoise, were chosen to symbolize a specific word or phrase to empower the LGBTQ+ community. With the help of a few of my fellow queer friends, I’ve created a list of colorful cocktails to help you celebrate Pride month while also learning about the history and specific symbolism of the gay Pride flag.

Pink: a Strawberry Cream for sexuality

Photo by Amanda Cortina for Spoon University

At the top of the original rainbow flag, there was a pink stripe, meant to symbolize sexuality. Because “sexuality” is such an evocative word, I wanted the cocktail representing it to also elicit a certain response, something that tasted fresh, sweet, and perhaps a little bit unexpected. A Strawberry Cream caters to those requirements quite well, while also creating the desired pink color.

To create this cocktail: Put ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour in 1 ounce strawberry soju, 1 ounce vodka, and half an ounce of coconut cream (coconut milk could be an easy substitute, however.) Shake. Pour into glass and enjoy.

Red: a Summer Negroni for life

The next stripe on the flag is red, symbolizing life itself. The cocktail to represent this is a Summer Negroni. Not only does a negroni feel like a timeless, classic drink, but it’s had a long life of its own, which is a good comparison to the life and longevity of the LGBTQ+ community.

To create this cocktail: In a small glass, stir in 1 ounce gin, 1 ounce Aperol, and 1 ounce sweet vermouth. Enjoy.

Orange: a Passion Fruit Mai Tai for healing

When I think of healing, I imagine feeling relaxed and able to breathe deeply. Those are things I’m able to do best while at the beach, so what better drink to represent “healing” than a cocktail best known for being served near the ocean? A Passion Fruit Mai Tai creates the perfect orange color of the third stripe in the original Pride flag, while also evoking the healing vibes of a tropical vacation.

To create this cocktail: Put ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour in 1 ounce white rum, 1 ounce Triple Sec, 1 ounce orgeat syrup, 1 ounce lime juice, and 2 ounces passion fruit juice. Shake. Pour into glass. For additional flavor, pour 1 ounce dark rum over the top of the cocktail and enjoy.

Yellow: a Spicy Pineapple Margarita for the sun

The sun is so hot that it burns sometimes, so for the cocktail representing it, I wanted a drink with a kick to it. That would be the Spicy Pineapple Margarita. Sweet like summertime but with a tang that singes, this yellow beverage is the perfect drinkable “sun.”

To create this cocktail: Put ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour in 1 ounce lime juice, 1 ½ ounces pineapple juice, ½ ounce hot honey, 1 ounce simple syrup, 1 ounce Triple Sec, and 1 ounce tequila. Shake. Line the rim of your drinking glass with a blend of lime, salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Pour drink from cocktail shaker into drinking glass. Enjoy.

Green: a Matcha Martini for nature

The fifth stripe on the flag is green, symbolizing nature. For this word, I wanted to do something with matcha, because of both its color and its earthy taste. It’s an ingredient that makes me feel more at one with nature when I consume it, thereby making a Mint Matcha Martini the perfect cocktail to represent the green stripe of the Pride flag.

To create this cocktail: Mix ⅛ teaspoon of matcha with 1 ounce oat milk. Put ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour in matcha and oat milk mix, 1 ½ ounces simple syrup, 1 ounce vodka, and a splash of absinthe. Shake. Pour into glass and enjoy.

Turquoise: A Blue Hawaiian for art and magic

Blue curacao is a magical type of alcohol, creating a distinct orange flavor while somehow appearing vibrantly blue. Since the original turquoise stripe of the Pride flag symbolizes art and magic, I thought a cocktail known for containing blue curacao would be a fitting choice. Because of this, I picked a Blue Hawaiian.

To create this cocktail: Put ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour in 3 ounces pineapple juice, 1 ounce sweet and sour mix, 2 ounces white rum, and 1 ½ ounces blue curacao. Shake. Pour into glass and enjoy. (For the frozen variation, mix ingredients together in a blender instead of a cocktail shaker.)

Blue: a Blue Gin Fizz for harmony

In music, harmony is achieved when different sounds come together to achieve a pleasant singular entity. In a cocktail, harmony is created by an agreement of different flavors creating a delicious singular entity. For a harmonious drink, I chose a Blue Gin Fizz. There are very distinct ingredients in a Blue Gin Fizz, but they create a pleasant taste when combined into a beverage.

To create this cocktail: Place an original maraschino cherry in the bottom of a glass. Pour in 1 ounce blue curacao, 1 ounce gin, and a splash of lime juice. Stir. Pour ginger beer over the top until the glass is full. Enjoy.

Purple: a Sangria for spirit

The final stripe in the Pride flag is purple, which represents Spirit, or “the Spirit.” This could be interpreted in a number of ways, including but not limited to: your/the queer community’s soul, the energy and positive attitude of the Pride movement, a supernatural/spiritual connection, or literally the feeling and emotion of having “Pride” itself. Because there are so many unique and valid ways to interpret what the “spirit” of the Pride flag symbolizes, the cocktail I chose to represent this word is a Sangria, which is a wine-based beverage that also has a plethora of differing interpretations on how to make it.

To create this cocktail (the way I did): In a large container such as a punch bowl or a gallon container, pour in two bottles of red wine and 1 cup of brandy. Slice oranges, limes, and strawberries, and place them into the liquid. Also put in cherries. Let soak for at least six hours. Pour a serving into a drinking glass and enjoy.