Most times when people think of pumpkin, they only think of pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks or pumpkin pie served at Thanksgiving. What if I were to tell you that pumpkin can be used for so much more? What about if I told you it could be the exact change that your pasta needed? 

In this pumpkin and goat cheese pasta recipe, some of the ingredients are really up to personal taste, such as the nutmeg and white wine (although my personal suggestion is that the wine is completely necessary). If you're looking for a thicker sauce, reduce the amount of wine and add a little more goat cheese. If you want your sauce a little thinner, add more wine to water it down. 

One-Pot Pumpkin and Goat Cheese Pasta

• 8 ounces linguine or angel hair pasta
  • 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 cup pumpkin canned or fresh
  • 1/4 to 1 cup white wine
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped leeks
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 2 chopped portabella mushrooms
  • 4 large cloves garlic minced
  • 1 pinch nutmeg
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • 4 ounces goat cheese
  • 1 bunch chopped parsley for garnish
  • crushed red pepper to taste
  • 1 bag frozen or fresh peas about 1 cup cooked

Place a large pot on the stove and assemble your ingredients.

bread
    Sarah Yanofsky

Add all ingredients, except the goat cheese and parsley, to the pot. Bring the pot to a boil and stir for 10 minutes until pasta is cooked.

pasta, vegetable, noodle
    Sarah Yanofksy

Continue stirring pasta in broth and remove from flame. Add the goat cheese to the pot and begin to stir, incorporating the cheese into the mixture until thickened. After stirring, let sit for 5 minutes. Note: This sauce may seem really watery at first, it will thicken up as it sits.

Sarah Yanofsky

Place the pasta into bowls and garnish with the parsley. Enjoy!

pasta, sauce, chicken, parsley
    Sarah Yanofsky

#SpoonTip: Additional vegetables of your choosing can most certainly be added, such as snap peas or red peppers. This recipe can also be made vegan by replacing the goat cheese with vegan sour cream