Who loves eating dessert for breakfast? As a person with a big sweet tooth, eating dessert for breakfast is the ideal way to start the day. Fortunately for all the dessert lovers out there like me, pancakes are an appropriate excuse to eat cake for breakfast. Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes are the perfect choice for doing so.

Though delicious, pancakes are often sugar and fat-laden. They act as more of a dessert rather than a healthy meal to fuel your day and keep your appetite satiated. Though there is an arsenal of healthy pancake recipes, like these protein pancakes or banana pancakes, this healthy pineapple upside down pancakes will add a note of Aloha to your next breakfast.

Like the other pancake recipes, these are a healthier alternative to a classic breakfast morning staple. You can now have your cake and eat it too, both literally and figuratively. 

Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes

• 2 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 2 tablespoons dairy or non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 ripe banana
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 pineapple rings
  • 4 maraschino cherries
Liz Hoang

In a medium-sized bowl, mash your banana until no large chunks remain.
    #SpoonTip: Use an extra ripe banana for extra sweetness and easy mashablility

Liz Hoang

Stir in your egg, milk of choice, and vanilla extract, then proceed to beat the ingredients until well incorporated.

Liz Hoang

Add your coconut flour. Be sure to only add one tablespoon at a time, as it will ensure that the flour does not clump up.

Liz Hoang

Heat your skillet over medium-low heat. Once up to temperature, add some cooking spray to your skillet.

Liz Hoang

Using a spoon, scoop one-fourth of the pancake batter into your skillet. Add your pineapple ring, then place the maraschino cherry in the middle of the ring. Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. The batter should make roughly 4 pancakes.

Liz Hoang

Garnish with some maraschino cherries and feel free to serve with whatever condiments you desire.

Liz Hoang

Often deemed as unhealthy, pancakes can still be a wholesome, filling, morning breakfast staple if nutritionally-dense ingredients are used. Not only will these pineapple upside down pancakes add a hint of tropical flair to breakfast time, they will also add a hint of fiber, thanks to the coconut flour and banana.