This recipe for maple cake is featured in Season 9 of Tastemade’s hit series Struggle Meals starring Emmy-award-winning chef, Frankie Celenza. Struggle Meals season 9 premieres on September 21 on the Tastemade streaming channel. 

I love a good fall cake. And this recipe, by Frankie Celenza, has all the classic elements of a cozy fall recipe. Subtle autumn flavor? Check. Crunchy nuts sprinkled on top? Check. Sweet and creamy frosting? Check. 

Maple Cake

• Total Time:1 hr 15 mins

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • tsp baking soda
  • 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • tsp ground nutmeg
  • tsp salt
  • 1 cup butter softened
  • cup granulated sugar
  • cup maple syrup
  • cup full fat greek yogurt
  • 3 eggs
  • cup milk
  • 1 cup butter softened
  • 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
  • cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • cup heavy cream
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Photo courtesy of Tastemade

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and line a 9x13 cake pan with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.

In a large bowl, use a wooden spoon to vigorously stir the butter until soft and creamy. Then switch to a whisk and whisk until light and airy, about 3-4 minutes. (Alternatively, use a hand mixer to cream the butter). Add the sugar and continue to whisk for 2-3 minutes.

Whisk together the maple syrup, milk, yogurt and eggs.

Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and ⅓ of the milk mixture, stirring to combine completely. Repeat, alternating between dry and wet, until all ingredients are incorporated.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.

Add the butter to a large bowl. Use a wooden spoon to vigorously stir it until light and creamy, 2-3 minutes. (Alternatively, use a hand mixer to beat). Add the powdered sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, heavy cream and a pinch of salt. Switch to a whisk and beat until the sugar is fully incorporated and the frosting is light and fluffy. Use a knife or offset spatula to spread the frosting over the cake. Dust cinnamon over top with a mesh strainer and finish with a sprinkle of chopped walnuts.