As soon as October rolls around, you instantly see it: pumpkin spice everything. Pumpkin pie spice can be added to anything from pies to muffins, lattes to oatmeal

Whether you're new to this fall spice mix, or if you're already a pumpkin spice novice (hey, that rhymes... kind of), it can be an adventurous and fun addition to your spice cabinet.

But, alas, you've gone all the way to the grocery store to discover they're all out of pumpkin pie spice seasoning! Or even worse, you're already halfway through making one of those delicious pumpkin spice recipes you found on Pinterest and you completely forgot about getting some, and there's no one around to go to the store to pick it up for you (that's why it's best to always bake with a buddy... that can drive).   

pasture, pumpkin, vegetable, gourd, squash
Ashleigh Monaco

Have no fear, sad bakers. Pumpkin pie spice is surprisingly really easy to make at home. Even though it sounds super fancy, it can be made with a combination of spices you most likely already have lying around in your kitchen: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Seasoning

• Cook Time:0

• 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
coffee, beer
Ashleigh Monaco

Mix together the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.

coffee, chocolate, relish, cinnamon, sweet, condiment, garam masala, herb, cumin
    Ashleigh Monaco

Store the mixture in a sealable container, like a small mason jar, and use for all of your pumpkin spice needs!

coffee, chocolate, sweet, cinnamon, cream, milk
    Ashleigh Monaco

So before you freak out about leaving out that teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice from your granola and you leave the comfort of your warm kitchen for the winter cold, check your spice rack. But if you do need to trek to your nearest Costco for an emergency jar of pumpkin pie spice, it wouldn't be the end of the world.