My tween years were filled with One Direction. I was one of those girls who made my own t-shirt to attend their concerts, which has translated into my dedication to following each of the boy’s solo careers. I’ve always loved Harry Styles' music, and “Little Freak” from Harry's House is no exception — it’s the perfect song to listen to while sitting in your bathtub with a glass of red wine.

Although the track was released last May, one lyric from it has TikTok users recreating a drink Harry references. In the past month, we've seen tons of celebrity food combinations on social media, from Tom Hanks’ “Diet Cokagne” — a combination of Diet Coke and champagne — to Julia Fox’s banana bread topped with hazelnut spread. 

What is the drink from "Little Freak?"

The song’s vibes lend themselves perfectly to the drink combination in question: red wine mixed with ginger ale. Styles sings, “Red wine and a ginger ale / but you would make fun of me, for sure.” People on TikTok have been trying the drink themselves, their reactions accompanied by Styles’ crooning. 

Is red wine and ginger ale mixed together good?

Because I’d seen so many people trying and reacting to this combination, I obviously had to try it myself. I grabbed a glass from my cabinet, poured in some $2.99 red wine and topped it off with ginger ale, just like Harry suggests (although I doubt he’s drinking the same cheap wine I can get on my college student budget). Much like those on social media who have tried the combination, I was surprised by how good it actually tasted. I’m not usually a huge fan of carbonated beverages — hot take, I know — but the mixture of the bubbly ginger with the fruity flavors of the wine convinced me that Mr. Styles is definitely on to something here. If you like your wine a little sweeter, this mixture is a good way to achieve that with the ginger ale adding that subtle sweetness to the beverage.

Avery Tomaso

Although Harry laments that the subject of his song might make fun of him for this odd combination of flavors, after trying it myself, I’m definitely on his side. And no, I’m not biased just because of my love of his music. Having just recently turned 21, I’m always on the lookout for new drink combinations to experiment with, and this one is definitely going to be added to my list of favorites. 

Be responsible. Spoon does not promote binge or underage drinking. Stay safe!