Cauliflower is one of those vegetables you either despise or love, and I definitely love it. Whether made into a pizza crust, "rice", or simply roasted, I just cannot get enough. It's versatile, affordable, and takes on the flavor of whatever you mix into it. 

This recipe is my go-to when making any roasted vegetables. It's quick, simple, and has a refreshing taste thanks to the zesty lemon. In the spirit of Halloween, I substituted a normal white cauliflower for something with a bit more color.

cauliflower

cherster29 on Flickr

Purple and orange cauliflowers are naturally grown. The orange ones have their hue from an excess amount beta-carotene, while the purple ones from anthocyanin. Beta-carotene causes the orange cauliflower to have nearly 25 percent more vitamin A. Anthocyanin is the same antioxidant that causes red wine and cabbage to have a deep purple color.

Both of the varieties taste nearly identical to a standard white cauliflower, and they each have the same texture. Although orange cauliflower is nicknamed "Cheddar Cauliflower", it does not have a cheesy taste to it.

Since the colors of this seasonal veggie fit right into the theme of Halloween, it's the perfect dish to make for any party. Plus, the garlicky taste is sure to scare away any unwanted vampires. While it may just be a legend, it's a great way to add an extra element of everyone's favorite fall holiday into your dinner menu.

Garlic Roasted Cauliflower

• 1 head orange cauliflower
  • 1 head purple cauliflower
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Marisa Palace

Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut the cauliflower into florets. Toss the pieces of cut cauliflower in oil, lemon juice, and seasonings.

Marisa Palace

Spread out over a single layer on to a lined baking tray. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden and tender.

Marisa Palace

Serve straight from the oven, or at room temperature. Store leftovers (if there are any) in the fridge in a sealed container.

Marisa Palace

This cauliflower not only tastes incredible but looks it, too. It's easy to make a big batch and serve to a crowd of people, especially since it does not have to be eaten hot. The vampires will be running from your kitchen.

Just watch out for the zombies!