I love a good at-home spa day. I run a bath, complete with a rubber ducky I definitely bought in my 20s, a soothing playlist to set the mood, and a serum sheet mask to hydrate my skin to perfection. Everything is going perfectly with my bubble beard and karaoke session until one meditative breath in causes my mask to slide into my mouth. All of a sudden, I taste nothing but various extracts, essences, and fragrances, and the vibes are ruined.

This might come across as a mere spa-day inconvenience, but it’s one I am dedicated to solving. With a vast swath of edible mask recipes available online, all made from ingredients right in your kitchen, why settle when you can find the tastiest one to make for your next self-care night.

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

Based on the sound, intricate science of my and my boyfriend/photographer’s taste buds, we  ranked five DIY edible face masks from worst to best, based on taste.

5. Yogurt, Turmeric, & Honey Mask

1 Tbsp. honey

1 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt

1 Tbsp. turmeric

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

As a lover of spiced yogurt, I was expecting much more from this warm spice mixed with cool plain Greek yogurt and a dollop of sweet honey. With this in mind, I actively sought out a spice-laced mask and found this recipe on Time Out. I adore turmeric yogurt dips with pita and roasted vegetables, and I am obsessed with turmeric yogurt marinades on chicken skewers. However, when mixing these three beautiful ingredients, it just didn’t pack the punch or balance I expected.

As far as your skin goes, this particular concoction is perfect for evening skin tones and brightening the face. Greek yogurt contains proteins ideal for repairing damaged skin cells, lactic acid that tightens up pores, and Vitamin B which aids in hydration. Real honey contains antibacterial properties that help prevent acne. Turmeric is a spice that can help ease the appearance of red and blotchy skin patches.

However, make sure to keep this mask on for less than 10 minutes. Turmeric can stain the skin if left for too long.

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

#SpoonTip: Use cooking spray on your measuring spoon or cup when working with honey. The honey will easily slide out and won’t stick to the bottom.

4. Avocado and Banana Mask

½ banana

½ avocado

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

Okay, okay, yes…nothing about mashing banana and avocado together sounds appealing, but it tastes better than expected. By mashing or food processing equal parts banana and avocado, you get a delicious and unexpected toast topper. A perfectly ripe banana doesn’t overwhelm the velvety avocado with sweetness and strikes a decent balance. However, this may trigger the mushy texture haters.

As far as skin benefits, the banana has been deemed “nature’s botox.” (Mmm, I love a bit of “nature’s botox” on my Rice Krispies in the morning.) They hydrate skin, smooth fine lines, and reduce the appearance of dark spots. On top of these benefits, avocado brings its many natural oils to the mask that help moisturize skin and prevent dry patches.

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

3. Honey Lemon Mask

1 lemon, juiced

2 Tsp. honey

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

This two-ingredient recipe is not just a delicious little treat, it’s also a recipe for soothing a sore throat. It was delicious, but I would not actively try to eat the whole mask before it touched my face. Super scientific explanation, I know.

Honey and lemon help dry out and shrink pimples, soothe irritation and dryness, and even skin tones.

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

#SpoonTip: Roll your lemon on a hard surface with the palm of your hand before cutting it to make juicing easier.

2. Cucumber, Honey, Sugar, & Yogurt Mask

½ cucumber, blended

2 Tbsp. honey

2 Tbsp. Greek yogurt

2 Tbsp. sugar

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

Initially, based on appearance alone, I assumed this mask would come in dead last on the tasting spectrum. I was delightfully surprised at the juxtaposition of refreshing blended cucumber stirred in with honey, sugar, and Greek yogurt. The tangy of the yogurt and sweetness of the sugar and honey strike a delicious balance that goes nicely with the cold cucumber. And yes, with this one, I did double dip. The aroma was lovely and light, too.

It’s no secret that cucumber is divine for the skin with its ability to lock in hydration, prevent acne, and even treat sunburn if you’ve laid out a bit too long. Plus, Greek yogurt has lactic acid, honey serves as an antibacterial agent, and sugar acts as an exfoliant. It all marries so beautifully for your mouth and your face.

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

1. Chocolate, Honey, Yogurt Mask

1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

1 Tbsp. honey

1 Tbsp. Greek yogurt

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

I am a chocolate girlie yesterday, today, and every day. So, this mask did not disappoint. I could eat this mix of equal parts cocoa powder, honey, and Greek yogurt for breakfast. Maybe I already did. The honey and honey yogurt I chose were sweet enough to balance the bitterness of the cocoa but did not detract from its natural nuttiness. And that explanation was brought to you by my Food & Wine Magazine subscription. Plus, now that I have a whole container of cocoa powder, I can plan out several more recipes and face mask days for the future.

Make sure that you save just enough to cover your face as cocoa powder contains many nutrients your skin wants to eat up, too. The antioxidants and Vitamin C in cocoa help tighten skin, reduce redness, create a natural glow, and more. 

Photo By Jamie Vitullo

Do you have any favorite edible masks that you like to make on the reg? Drop a comment on our socials and we might rate your recipe next! With these recipes, we hope your skin stays fresh and your tummy stays happy.