Face masks—the thing you apply when you sit down with a tall glass of wine at the end of a stressful day and finally take a breath. So, what if the product you applied to your face was as deliciously sweet in your stomach as it feels on your face? Well, it can be when it’s made of honey!

Honey is not just the product drizzled on top of yogurt or stirred into a steaming mug of green tea; it has many health benefits that most people don’t even realize—especially for your skin! There are three main benefits of honey on the skin. It’s antibacterial, meaning that it absorbs excess oils in the skin and prevents acne. Second, honey has strong nourishing properties and is packed full of minerals, vitamins, natural enzymes, and antioxidants, which nourishes pores from the outside in. Lastly, honey contains an enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide that nourishes the lips, leaving your skin appearing plump and revitalized. 

So now you must be upset that you've been missing out on this inexpensive food that literally would change your face mask game. Well, no more! The following 4 recipes for each skin type will revolutionize your beauty regiment and satisfy your sweet tooth!

Acne Prone Skin Honey Mask

• Cook Time:0

• 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 lemon – juiced
  • 1 tablespoon yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
cinnamon, cookie, sweet, candy, chocolate
Natalie Rodriguez

Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl until they resemble the consistency of a lotion.

water, tea, milk
    Alex Frank

Apply the mixture to your face!

ice, ice cream
    Judy Holtz

Benefits and Use:

The ingredients used for this mask can be mixed and matched based on what you have available to you at the time, but if you’re going out to buy these ingredients, try to get the organic ones because if they contain fewer chemicals, the better the result on your skin! If you want to go the extra mile and pay the cost of the creme-de-la-creme of honey, which has a $30 price tag, use manuka honey for this mask. It has heightened antibacterial and antioxidant properties! However, regular honey works just fine too and won't hurt your wallet.

The cinnamon helps plump the skin and unclog pores, while the lemon works as an antibacterial treatment for blackheads. Let the mask dry and then reapply until you have used up all the contents of the bowl (unless of course, you eat some of it!). Sit for 30 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water. And voilà! Beautiful clean skin with a mask that tastes as good in your stomach as it feels on your face!

Dry Skin Honey Mask

• Cook Time:0

• 1 teaspoon plain yogurt made from whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons mashed ripe avocado
  • 1-2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
tea, cream, honey, yogurt, Honey bear
Sam Jesner

Mix the three ingredients well in a small bowl.

avocado, guacamole, vegetable
    Rebecca Holstein

Apply the mask to your skin and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water after the time has elapsed.

milk, yogurt
    Andrew Zaky

Benefits and Use:

The coconut oil softens the skin, and the avocado and the yogurt will moisturize and hydrate the skin, providing it with vitamins and nutrients that it needs to appear healthier. The lactic acid from the yogurt functions as a refining tool for the pores and stimulates collagen production.

Sensitive Skin Honey Mask

• Cook Time:0

• 2 teaspoons raw honey
  • 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
milk
Sara Steere

Mix the aloe and honey together in a small bowl.

nectar, sweet, honey, honey dipper
    Sam Jesner

Apply the mask all over the face, leaving it on for about 10 to 20 minutes before rinsing the skin.

beer, tea, pizza, coffee
    Isabella Alessandrini

Benefits and Use:

Aloe is beneficial to the skin because it soothes the inflammation of pores that can lead to redness. This mask also soothes skin that has been exposed to too much sun and can be useful when there are dry patches or blisters on the face. Although this mask is probably as delicious as the others, I don’t necessarily recommend eating it unless you like the taste of aloe vera gel and are willing to take the risk despite the labeling on the packaging.

Scars and Dark Spots Honey Mask

• Cook Time:0

• 1 lemon – juiced
  • 2 teaspoons honey
syrup, liquor, alcohol, wine, maple syrup, honey, oil, whisky, tea, molasses
Stephanie Lee

Mix the two ingredients well and then apply all over the face.

lemon, juice, citrus, lemonade, citron
    Rebecca Block

Leave the mask on for roughly 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with water.

vegetable, cucumber, cucumber eyelids, happy girl, smiling girl, smile, happy, Relax, relaxed, zen, Spa
    Julia Gilman

Benefits and Use:

This mask might take longer (up to several months) to achieve the result of fewer dark spots and scars, but your skin will instantly feel rejuvenated and smooth. This mask can be used 1 or 2 times a week because lemon juice is strongly acidic and too frequent use can lead to irritation.

So, here they are—four honey face masks that will revolutionize your skin, hydrating and nourishing it so that you look and feel like the best version of yourself! The best part about these masks is that you might already have these ingredients at home, and even if you don’t, they (mostly) won’t hurt your bank account to purchase. So, next time you’re at the grocery store or perusing through your pantry trying to figure out what to use on your skin as a face mask, pick up a tub of honey, don’t be afraid to get a little sticky, and let the magic of clear skin begin!