Chocolate Chip Cookies

chocolate, cookie
Kevin Rodriguez

Chocolate chip cookies are an essential quarantine recipe that everyone who has taken up baking must make. Not only are they delicious, but also, one of the easier cookie recipes. Follow the recipe below for some delicious chocolate chip cookies!

1. You will need 1 cup of melted unsalted butter, 1 cup of light brown sugar, 2/4 cup of granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips.

2. Preheat your oven to 375ºF.

3. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar into a large bowl. Whisk until they are well combined. Then, add the eggs and the vanilla. Whisk them until the mixture is smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir these in until no dry flour remains. Then add the chocolate chips and stir until they are well incorporated.

4. Scoop out 1 1/2 tablespoon balls of the batter and put them onto a baking sheet.

5. Bake for 10 minutes. Then, cool them for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and transfer them to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

Homemade Pizza

#foodporn, #photography, #shreddedcheese, #pizza, #food, #cheese, #cooking
Yasmeen Aboulhawa

Pizza, one of the staples in every college students' diet, can be easy to make. It is also extremely simple to customize, making it one of the must-do quarantine recipes. Follow the recipe below for easy homemade pizza dough!

1. You will need 1 cup of warm water, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 to 2  1/1 cups of all-purpose flour, and 1 tablespoon of salt

2. Preheat your over to 450ºF. Also, grease a pizza pan or large cookie sheet and set aside to be used later.

3.  Put the warm water into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and the yeast to the bowl and stir to combine. Let this mixture sit for roughly five minutes (until bubbles form). Then, add olive oil and stir until combined. Add 2 cups of flour and salt. Mix this until a ball begins to form (add more flour as needed).

4. Transfer this dough to a floured surface and knead into a smooth dough, adding flour if necessary. Roll the dough into the shape that will fit your pan and transfer it gently. 

5. Bake on the lower rack of your oven for five minutes. Now, add pizza sauce and any toppings.

6. Put the pan back into your oven and bake for roughly 10 to 15 minutes (until you see the crust getting crispy).

7. Let cool and enjoy!

Spaghetti Carbonara

pasta, spaghetti, egg, vegetable, sauce, spaghetti carbonara
Phoebe Melnick

Carbonara is a delicious pasta dish that can be easily adapted depending on the season what vegetables you have access to!  It is also very easy to make and includes ingredients that you most likely already have in your house!

1. You will need 1 lb. of spaghetti (or whichever pasta you want), 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, kosher salt, pepper, 2 large eggs, 3/4 cup of grated Parmesan, 1 tablespoon of freshly grated lemon zest, and whatever vegetables you like (ex: 1 1 /2 cup of frozen peas and 1/2 lb of asparagus). **Although this is a vegetarian take on the dish, many add pancetta or bacon**

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the peas until they are cooked. Then transfer the peas to a smaller bowl. Add the spaghetti to the pot of water and cook until they are al dente (roughly 9 minutes). Set aside 3/4 cup of the pasta water, and then drain the pasta.

3. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the asparagus (or your vegetable of choice) and cook until tender. Add the peas and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook for two more minutes, then turn off the heat and set the pan aside. 

4. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and parmesan. Add the pasta and 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water. Make sure to coast well, adding more water as necessary. Add in the vegetables, the lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season the pasta with salt and paper to taste. Enjoy! 

Fudgy Brownies 

chocolate, cookie, cake, brownie
Sydney Segal

Brownies are an essential baking recipe to have. Not only are they one of the most delicious desserts, but they are easy to make! Therefore, they have become one of the essential quarantine recipes!

1.  You will need 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (melted and hot), 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, 1 1/8 cup of granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 1/2 cup of all purpose flour, 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. (If you want to add chocolate chips/chunks, nuts, etc. have those as well)

2. Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan with cooking oil and line with parchment paper, side aside to be used later. 

3. In a large bowl, combine the butter, oil, and sugar. Mix them for about a minute and add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. (this is when you would add any nuts, etc.)

4. Pour the batter into a prepared ban, making sure the top is even. (Top with chocolate chips or chunks if you want extra chocolate or texture).

5. Bake for 20-25 minutes (until the center of the brownies is set). **If testing with a toothpick or fork, they should come out dirty for fudgy brownies** Remove from oven and let cool. Then, enjoy it!

For more fun recipes check out some of the below Spoon University articles!

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/8-easy-recipes-to-make-with-things-you-probably-have-at-home

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/6-easy-feel-good-spring-recipes-youve-got-to-try

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/7-italian-recipes-easier-than-mac