It happens to the best of us: we feel super healthy, buy a ton of fresh fruit- telling ourselves that we're going to eat it this week and then 10 days later, find it wrinkled at the bottom of the fridge. I recently found 6 old apples and ended up with apple crumble for a dozen, all in all, not a bad problem to have when the alternative was throwing out good food. There are an almost endless list of desserts to make with extra apples, or other fruit.  

This apple crumble is incredibly easy to make- and can be modified depending on how many apples you have. You can also add other fruits and and make apple- peach crumble, for example.

If you swap out butter, it can be vegan and almond flour instead of wheat flour will give you an easy gluten-free treat.  

Even during the summer, apple crumble makes a refreshing dessert that can be topped with ice cream on the hottest days. 

Apple Crumble

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 20 mins

• 6 apples
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 cups plain oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 Tbsp butter
Arielle Gordon

Wash the apples and take out the cores.
    Slice the apples into one inch cubes and place them into a large mixing bowl.
    Pour lemon juice on top of the apples to prevent them from browning.

Arielle Gordon

Mix the white sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
    Once combined, add the dry mixture to the apples and mix thoroughly.
    While the apples sit, mix the oatmeal, flour and sugar together.

Arielle Gordon

Add the apples into a greased baking dish.
    Pour the oatmeal topping evenly over the apples. Cut the butter into small cubes and dot it evenly over the oatmeal topping.

Arielle Gordon

Bake at 350 for 60 min, keeping the dish loosely covered with tin foil for the first 15 min.

Arielle Gordon