Fettuccine Alfredo is a classic dish — it's one of the first things you learn to make when you're on your own, but it's usually just heating up sauce out of the jar. It doesn't have to be like that, though. 

You can make your own Alfredo pasta sauce, which will make you feel better about eating pasta since you know exactly what's going into your sauce. If you feel guilty buying a jar of pasta sauce when you could make your own, this recipe is perfect for you.

cheese, tortellini, spaghetti, cream, macaroni, pasta
Elizabeth Dieterich

Fettuccine Alfredo

• Fettuccine noodles
  • Half-and-half
  • Garlic
  • Chicken - optional
  • White wine
  • Cream cheese
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Elizabeth Dieterich

On medium heat, start with crushed garlic and olive oil in a large pan. Heat until garlic starts to turn a little golden.

milk, coffee, cake, cream, candy, sweet, chocolate
    Elizabeth Dieterich

Add the sliced chicken to the pan and cook thoroughly

beef, chicken, pork
    Elizabeth Dieterich

Add a glass of white wine and let the alcohol cook off. This will bring the comforting flavor that everyone loves about Alfredo.

Next, add the cream cheese and wait for it to melt down. This generally takes some time so be patient with your Alfredo.

Once your cream cheese has almost finished melting add the half and half and wait for it to thicken.

flour, soup, bread, milk, dairy product, cream
    Elizabeth Dieterich

Add parmesan cheese and pepper. Let the cheese melt. At this point it should be thick enough to be considered a sauce instead of a liquid. If it has not thickened the way that you like, add a little bit of flour or cornstarch.

flour, cream, dairy product, milk
    Elizabeth Dieterich

Cook the fettuccine noodles in a pot of boiling salt water and add them to the sauce. Top with pepper and parmesan cheese and enjoy.

Elizabeth Dieterich