Sundays are for sinful indulgence, boujee brunches and bottomless mimosas, but if you’re like me you are either extremely hungover or extremely broke. But this Sunday you’ve made up your mind to treat yourself to a sumptuous midday meal! So you head off the kitchen to whip up some delicious pancakes and waffles with maybe a drizzle of almond butter, when you suddenly realize that you need to do something about that hangover ASAP. So like every other person who has ever scoured the internet for hangover cures, you turn to bread and eggs. But scrambled egg on toast isn’t exactly your idea of a boujee brunch (that’s because it actually isn’t). So here’s an egg-cellent dish that’s so exotic you won’t be able to pronounce it, but even more delectable so that you won’t be able to resist it. I may not be able to help you with the pronunciation, but I can definitely help you with a recipe for the perfect Shakshuka in 30 minutes!

Aastha Oze

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 15 Minutes

Total Time: 30 Minutes

Servings: 2-3

1) 3 Eggs

2) 2 Medium Size Tomatoes (diced)

3) 1 Red Onion (diced)

4) 4 cloves of Garlic

5) Half of a Lemon

6) 1 cup tomato/marinara sauce

7) 2 teaspoons red chili powder

8) 2 tablespoons Olive Oil

9) 2 teaspoons Cumin Powder

10) 1 tablespoon sugar

11) 2 tablespoons hot sauce

12) Spinach (if you’re trying to be healthy)

13) Salt and Pepper to taste.

DIRECTIONS

1) Preheat your oven to 350˚F while you start preparing your vegetables.

2) Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil in an oven safe pan and place over medium heat.

3) Meanwhile finely dice the tomatoes, onions and bell peppers.

4) Once the oil has heated up sufficiently, grate 4 cloves of garlic into the pan and let it sizzle for about 1 minute.

Aastha Oze

5) Add in your onions and bell peppers and sauté until the onions are a light brown color (about 5 minutes).

6) At about the same time add 1 teaspoon of the red chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cumin and mix well.

7) Once the onions have been sautéed, add in your tomatoes and your marinara sauce.

8) Add the hot sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and the remaining chili powder and cumin.

Aastha Oze

9) Squeeze in the juice of ½ a lemon and allow the mixture to cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes or until the tomatoes have lost most of their water.

10) Once cooked the mixture will thicken considerably and you can go ahead and make 3 indentations with a spatula.

11) Break open your eggs in each indentation, sprinkle some spinach leaves on top and place the pan in the oven for about 7 minutes.

Aastha Oze

12) While your Shakshuka is baking to perfection, you can toast some bread or if you’re feeling particularly fancy, you can serve it with slices of pita or naan.

13) Your perfect Shakshuka is now ready to be served and devoured!

For a more enjoyable meal you can also pair your Shakshuka with a few easy to make summer mocktails that will add some freshness and spice to your morning.