My sister decided to become a vegetarian at a very young age, long before she realized the importance of getting in enough protein every day. It became the job of my mother and I to find ways to ensure she was getting enough protein when she wasn't even willing to eat nuts. Beans, which are a great source of fiber and protein, were the answer. My sister absolutely loved beans, and as we found more recipes that we could use black beans with, the more the whole family grew to love them. Black beans are an amazing, versatile, and nutrient-packed ingredient that works well in so many meals. Try out some of these healthy black bean recipes and you'll see exactly what I mean. 

1. Vegetarian Black Bean Burritos

burrito, vegetable, pea, corn, beans, cheese
Santina Renzi

When I think of black beans, I immediately think of burritos. Going out to get a black bean burrito all the time is expensive, though, so try making your own at home. You won't be disappointed with the results. 

2. Black Bean Soup

In the dead of winter, there's no better way to get your daily dose of protein and fiber than a warm, hearty black bean soup. Black beans are packed with nutrients and are sure to leave you feeling satiated. 

3. Black Bean Brownies

chocolate, brownie, cookie, cake
Melissa Cannarozzo

A lot of people who are looking for healthy black bean recipes come across brownie recipes. Black beans are a great way to add some nutrients to brownies, but they also taste amazing. Black bean brownies are definitely worth a try.

4. Breakfast Enchiladas

Sometimes it's nice to add a little kick to your breakfast. Although black beans aren't the star of this dish, the black beans add a lot of healthy nutrients to this already delicious breakfast enchilada. 

5. Vegan Black Bean Lasagna

sauce, meat, tomato, vegetable, beef
Tatiana Gonzales

The black beans more than make up for the cheese in this vegan black bean lasagna. For any vegans who have been missing lasagna, this recipe may very well be the answer. Non-vegans, you're bound to enjoy it as well. 

6. Black Bean Hummus

Black bean meals are delicious, but black beans can also work perfectly in a side or a dip. This black bean hummus is a perfect example of that and makes eating vegetables for everyone, kid or adult, so much more enjoyable. 

7. Black Bean and Mango Chopped Salad

salad, vegetable, tomato, pepper, onion, cucumber
Rose Gerber

Anyone who knows me knows that I'll find an excuse to put mangos in anything. This pairing of both mango and black beans makes for a salad filled with flavour, not to mention the healthy fat that the avocado brings. 

8. Huevos Rancheros

Black beans pair perfectly with eggs, so it's no surprise that they make a showing in several brunch recipes, including these huevos rancheros. Give the most important meal of the day the attention it deserves with this brunch-themed healthy black bean recipe. 

9. Black Bean and Corn Chili

Beans are the name of the game with chili, and this black bean and corn chili checks every box. If this chili doesn't cut it for you, check out these other chili recipes to find one you'll love. 

10. Cheesy Beef Quesadillas

Although black beans are often used as a protein substitute for vegetarians and vegans, it also works really well as a pairing with other meat. Try out these cheesy beef quesadillas for proof. 

11. Mexican Corn Salad

vegetable, black beans, corn, legume
Sarah Morrissey

This Mexican corn salad serves as another great example for how some of the best healthy black bean recipes are salads. With recipes like these, you can pack a healthy lunch that you actually look forward to eating. 

12. Black Beans and Rice

If you're looking for a simple recipe, go back to the classics. Rice and beans is a well known combo that's stuck around this long for a reason. It may be one of the most well-known healthy black bean recipes, but it's also one of the best. 

13. Coconut & Quinoa Black Bean Stew

vegetable, meat, soup, black beans
Keah Hansen

Although this stew recipe is pretty simple, the deep flavours will make you think there are so many more ingredients than there actually are. This coconut and quinoa black bean stew is one of the easiest black bean recipes to make. 

14. Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas

If you have younger siblings who won't stop clamoring for quesadillas like mine do, these black bean and corn quesadillas will give you all the protein you can dream of. 

15. Black Bean Burger

avocado, sandwich, bread, lettuce, meat, beef, guacamole
Parisa Soraya

Although die-hard carnivores may balk at the thought of a black bean burger, they'll soon find that it has the meaty flavour they love so much. These black bean burgers are popular among vegan and vegetarians and are slowly making their way into mainstream food culture. 

16. Chicken Taco Avocados

With the avocado craze comes the taco recipe of your lifetime: chicken taco avocados. Not only will this meal be Instagram-worthy, but it will also be a hit with friends and family. 

17. Black Bean Salsa

Normal salsa isn't going to impress anyone at a party these days. If you really want people to keep coming back for more, make this black bean salsa that will go down in party history.

18. Loaded Veggie Nachos

vegetable, sauce, meat, pepper
Madison Piacentini

Did you really have nachos if they weren't loaded with black beans? These black bean loaded veggie nachos can be made in just 15 minutes. 

19. Santa Fe Chicken

I know a lot of people who don't like meals where chicken is the star because "chicken is boring," but this Santa Fe chicken recipe is nowhere near boring. The ample amount of cheddar, vegetables, spices, and black beans makes this a dish that can't be missed. 

20. Black Bean Butternut Squash Tacos

tacos, vegetable, corn, parsley
Katherine Baker

We started with burritos, and now we've come full circle to tacos. Many Mexican dishes feature black beans, but they work great in almost any meal. If you're looking for a star dish, these black bean butternut squash tacos are going to be everything you're looking for. 

Whether you're looking for healthy black bean recipes for the protein and fiber or just because you love the taste, these recipes can suit any purpose. Try just a few or try them all, but no matter what always feel inspired to try new foods, even if they seem a little tricky at first.