With the constant flow of picnics, weekend trips, and family gatherings that make up your social calendar, a salad is an easy (and healthy) dish to bring to the table. But who wants the cliché salad of romaine and scattered carrots when there are so many fresh and juicy flavors to discover? Take advantage of the seasons and compeiment the various tastes of fruits and veggies with this list of 15 feta salad recipes.

Feta is a soft white cheese originating from Greece that's made from sheep and/or goat milk. It is light and crumbly, low in lactose (so those with a lactose intolerance can have a little cheese without all the terrible side affects. Yay!), and can liven up even the most basic salad. Channel your inner foodie and surprise your guests with these feta salad recipes that are flavorful and perfect for any festivity.      

1. Sweet Potato, Apple, Carrot and Feta Salad  

salad, vegetable, pepper, onion, tomato, spinach, lettuce, oil
Jennifer Cao

Take advantage of warm weather and all it has to offer by heading to your local farmer's market to gather the ingredients you'll need for this salad. This recipe makes for a healthy and locally sourced salad for your evening gatherings. 

2. Tomato Cucumber Feta Salad

This chopped salad is super easy to create. Cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, olives (optional), a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of feta really transforms this choppy start to a delicious side. 

3. Chickpeas and Avocado Feta Salad 

This leafy green-free salad will be a hit at your picnic. The protein from the chickpeas and the healthy fats from the avocado create a filling, and addicting, year-round salad.   

4. Strawberry Feta and Spinach Salad

Replace your $8 restaurant chain salad with this homemade summer plate of leafy greens. The burst of sweetness from the strawberries is paired with the slightly salty taste of feta, while the pecans add a lovely crunch to this summer favorite.

5. Spinach, Feta, & Pear Salad with Walnuts

With the inclusion of pears, this feta topped salad can carry you all through the summer and into fall. The pomegranate seeds will add little fruit explosions in your mouth.

6. Watermelon and Feta Salad with Mint     

Libby Perold

Watermelon and cheese? I was a little skeptical of this pairing, but it proved me wrong. The subtle flavor for feta pairs well with the sharp mint flavor and the sweetness of the watermelon. Add some blueberries and you've got a refreshing patriotic salad for your 4th of July party.

7. Beet and Feta Salad

salad, vegetable, cheese, beet salad, lettuce, spinach, oil, beet
Becky Hughes

This salad is grain-based, tossed with cooked beets, and of course, feta. It's a salad worthy of Dwight Schrutte's approval. 

8. Apple Cranberry Walnut Salad 

Crisp apple and chopped walnuts on a bed of spinach with an apple cider vinegar based dressing. Sign me up! Another salad perfect for summer and the early months of fall.

9. Cantaloupe and Feta Salad

salad, cheese, tomato
Laura McMann

I never realized that feta and fruit were such a common pairing. The cantaloupe gives the salad a sweet kick to the savory summer side. It will spark the curiosity of all those at the gathering. 

10. Classic Greek Salad

Thought I would get through this article without a classic Greek salad? Well, here it is. Greek salads are my favorite, and are like a comfort food for me. Especially when loaded with olives and feta. And paired with a glass of wine, of course.

11. Black Bean Taco Salad (ft. Feta)  

salad, greek salad, cheese, tomato, pepper, vegetable
Julia Maguire

Taco Tuesday just got a new (meatless) look thanks to this bowl of goodness. Protein from black beans, a kick from the lime juice, and the creaminess of feta make a colorful salad alternative.  

12. Harissa Grain Salad  

vegetable, salad, meat
Ellen Gibbs

Farro and harissa make for a non-traditional salad. Farro is a super grain packed with protein and fiber with a nutty flavor. Harissa, a spicy chili paste, kicks the flavor up a notch. A grain-based salad will be the centerpiece for your summer BBQ.  

13. Asparagus, Tomato, & Feta Salad

Crunchy green stalks of asparagus create the base for this salad. With bits of walnuts hidden throughout and a tossing of balsamic vinegar, it makes a wonderful pairing with grilled salmon

14. Berry Feta Salad

Nothing screams "summer picnic" like a bowl full of colorful fruit. A crumble of feta and light fruity dressing keeps the taste buds tingling and keep you feeling light. 

15. Sweet Potato Feta Salad

I usually associate sweet potatoes with fall and winter, but put them on the grill and they are a perfect addition to your summer menu. Though this quirky dish doesn't look like the typical salad, it will become a staple at your next summer bbq.

Whether you're feeling adventurous and opt for a fruity topped feta salad, or go on the safer (but still delicious) route and choose a spinach based plate of greens, these feta salad recipes will add flavor to all your gatherings.