There is a reason that Alaskan salmon is consumed all over the United States—it's rich flavor and color makes it simultaneously nutritious, satisfying, and diverse.

Growing up in Alaska, salmon is everywhere. Salmon eggs for breakfast, smoked salmon, grilled salmon, salmon dip for lunch, baked salmon for dinner; it's salmon all the time.

Even though I am not living in Alaska anymore, I still grill salmon like I am. My favorite recipe is my father's cedar board grilled salmon. It's very simple to cook as long as you have a grill and a cold Alaskan brewskie to go along with it. 

#SpoonTip: Cedar boards can be purchased at hardware stores such as Lowe's in the grill and outdoor furniture section. You can also find cedar siding at a lumberyard, just be sure that it is untreated.

Alaskan Cedar Board Grilled Salmon

• Prep Time:1 day
  • Total Time:1 day 20 mins

• 1 salmon filet
  • 1 cedar board
  • 1 lemon
  • Johnny's Alaskan Salmon Seasoning OR paprika and garlic salt
salmon, beer
Lorcan Cannon

Soak your cedar board in a cake pan or container with water for 8-24 hours. It is best to soak for as long as possible to be sure that the board doesn't dry out when you are grilling it.

tea, coffee, beer
    Lorcan Cannon

Wash the salmon and then place directly on the cedar board, skin side down.

fish, salmon, seafood, sushi, sashimi, meat, trout, rice, smoked salmon
    Lorcan Cannon

Turn on the grill to a medium-low heat, and place the cedar board (with the salmon) directly over the flame. You want the grill to be hot enough that the cedar board smokes but does not catch fire.

salmon, fish, meat, seafood, fillet, trout
    Lorcan Cannon

Sprinkle the salmon generously with Johnny's Alaskan Salmon Seasoning. If you cannot find Johnny's, mix two parts garlic salt and one part paprika to create a similar mixture. Then close the lid to the grill to trap the smoke. Let grill 15-20 minutes. The salmon should have light, pink flakes.

meat, pork, barbecue, salmon, steak
    Lorcan Cannon

After the salmon is done cooking, remove from heat and serve the grilled salmon either directly on the board or on a large plate. Flavor and garnish with lemon.

salmon, beer
    Lorcan Cannon