Growing up in Miami, there's nothing better than waking up to the smell of cafecito being made or the warm smell of fresh pastelitos straight from the bakery. It's Cuban food, how can you not love it. The multitude of dishes and combinations you can make is able to please even the pickiest eaters, like me. If you grew up in Miami you know there's a Cuban food joint on almost every corner down Bird Road. However, if you're visiting the city or simply want to try something new, then these 8 Cuban spots are sure to leave you wanting more.

Versailles

If you happen to be in Miami for only a short amount of time, then you need to eat at Versailles to cross it off your bucket list. Versailles is the OG Cuban restaurant and it has been since 1971. Here, you'll find every aspect of Cuban cuisine possible. From café, to croquetas, to media noche, and an array of desserts to satisfy your sweet tooth.

La Carreta

La Carreta is the place to go for a traditional sit-down Cuban restaurant experience. They hold the title for Miami's most famous Cuban espresso, a café cubano, but their location on Bird Road is definitely the most popular. When the Miami Heat have won the NBA Finals and after Fidel Castro's death in 2016, La Carreta on Bird is packed with people celebrating by banging on cazuelas, (pots and pans), all through the night. If you want to eat Cuban cuisine and then celebrate like one, La Carreta is the place to do it at.

Islas Canarias 

Everyone in Miami knows that if you're craving croquetas, you have to go to the mecca of them. That is, Islas Canarias. They're not shy about the amount of meat they pack into these little guys. The traditional is none other than their ham one with a little lime squeezed on top. They have other options like beef, chorizo, ham and cheese, and even fish for our pescetarian friends. The best part about these croquetas is that you can have them at any time of the day.

El Rey de las Fritas

It's not just a sandwich, it's more than that. A frita is a traditional Cuban sandwich the includes finely ground meat with garlic and additional spices, pounded into a thin patty, topped with cooked onions and papitas julianas (small, think potatoes strings), all stacked in between two perfectly toasted buns. The original is served without cheese but El Rey de las Fritas offers cheese options and even a double frita which is stacked with two patties. If you're looking for an authentic Cuban meal, then a frita is definitely the way to go.

Sergio's

If there's one thing you need to know about Cuban food, it's that it is big. When I say big, I'm talking about bigger than your head big. Sergio's has been serving up these sizes since 1975, and they don't stop there. Cuban food isn't considered to be the healthiest per say, but Sergio's has their "La Flaca" menu for those of us who are trying to watch what we eat. Let's be honest, we're gonna order the bistec empanizado either way.

Azúcar Ice Cream

Azúcar Ice Cream shop is located in Little Havana, the heart of Cuba in Miami. Although the location may be a trek for some, it's definitely worth it. This place has been serving up Cuban dish inspired ice cream since it opened up in 2011. A fan favorite is their Abuela Maria flavor which includes vanilla ice cream mixed with guava, cream cheese, and bits of Abuela Maria cookies. It doesn't get more Cuban than this.

El Palacio de Los Jugos

Their specialty is in their name. El Palacio de Los Jugos is the joint if you're looking for refreshing, fresh, smoothies and juices. They have a ton of different fruits you can choose from like mamey, papaya, mango, and so much more. They also offer authentic Cuban sodas like Jupiña and Materva. Since they are called the palace of juices, it's not surprising that they sell them by the jugs to take home; which you probably will. 

Vicky Bakery

Long before Pinecrest Bakery, there was Vicky Bakery. Vicky Bakery is the top place for your Cuban pastry cravings. They sell monstrous platters of pastelitos, croquetas, and bocaditos for all your party planning needs. Not to mention your childhood birthday party cakes probably came from here too. It's the perfect quick food stop to cure that Sunday morning hangover.

We all know abuela makes the best food hands down, but these places are all close seconds to her hard work. The 305 is known for it Cuban culture, and especially its food. Whether you're more on the sweet side of the cuisine and prefer pastelitos over croquetas, you'll never go hungry again with the portion sizes we like to serve up. Like abuela says, tienes que alimentarte.