Do you ever feel that impending stress about to hit you as you attempt to make any food-related decisions? This is exactly how I felt on my recent trip to New York. If there's anything I've learned from my trip to New York, it's that the food you eat shapes your impression of a city.

To get most out of your trip, promise me you won't consult Yelp. Instead, follow this fool-proof list of restaurants and spots to hit up while in town and I guarantee you'll have a good time, eat great food, and most importantly, have Insta-worthy pictures that you'll be dying to post.

Soho/ West Village 

Rubirosa

pizza, mozzarella, pepperoni, tomato, cheese, dough, basil
Gwen Tan

To all of you pizza lovers out there, this traditional Italian restaurant might just be the key to winning your heart. One of the biggest annoyances anyone can experience while eating a thin crust pizza is to have your toppings fall off the pizza just as you're about to take a huge bite into that delicious piece of goodness in front of you.

But fear not, Rubirosa has got you covered. They've managed to come up with the perfect ratio of pizza dough to toppings, so that you'll enjoy that slice of pizza in all its entirety. 

#SpoonTip: Don't feel ashamed if you end up finishing one pizza by yourself). 

Recommendations: Mini Rice Balls, Tye-Dye Pizza, Meatballs

by CHLOE. 

pasta, pesto, spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine
Gwen Tan

If you are vegan, love vegan food, or are willing to try it out, this is the place for you! by.Chloe has just about all you could possibly want, and even more. All food is 100% vegan, is locally-sourced and made fresh. What's more, by. Chloe only uses eco-friendly packaging.

Do be warned, the lines can get very long during lunchtime so be prepared to wait in line. But getting those Insta-worthy pictures makes it worthwhile, so get your phones and cameras ready! 

tacos, rice, black beans, beans, salad
Gwen Tan

Recommendations: Quinoa Taco Salad, Spicy Thai Salad, Avocado Pesto Pasta, Guac Burger

Chelsea Market/ The Highline

sushi, nigiri, tuna, sashimi
Gwen Tan

Just a short walk from the Hudson River in Meatpacking District, Chelsea Market is known by all as one of the greatest indoor food halls in the world with more than thirty-five vendors selling just about everything you could possibly dream of. Foodies, this is your dream come true – be prepared to enter Chelsea Market in the morning and not exit until lunchtime as this place will certainly send you on an eating spree. 

oyster, shellfish, seafood, mussel, fish
Gwen Tan

Seriously, the seafood is so fresh that you can practically smell the sea! 

tacos, chicken, salsa
Gwen Tan

Recommendations: The Lobster Place - Sushi & Sashimi Bar (omakase sushi), Los Tacos No. 1 (nopal tacos, nopal quesadillas, horchata)

East Village 

Momofuku Milk Bar

beer, cake
Gwen Tan

If you've ever scrolled through Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook, you'll definitely know Milk Bar Bakery for their beautifully creative desserts with a spin on traditional recipes. Milk Bar has gained recognition worldwide, and with good reason. What better way to re-live your childhood than through eating nostalgic desserts? 

Recommendations: Compost Cookie, Corn Cookie, B'Day truffles, Cereal Milk Soft Serve, Birthday Cake 

Tompkins Square Bagel

sandwich, cheese
Gwen Tan

Who said bagels are only for breakfast? Tompkins Square Bagel has such an extensive menu that you'll probably end up feeling more confused after taking a look at it. They have choices ranging from sweet birthday cake to the traditional lox and cream cheese. These bagels are super fresh, fresher than that pair of new kicks you're wearing that they don't need to be toasted.

If you're looking for a place to satisfy your bagel cravings in New York, this place is so dangerously good that you may end up eating more than you wanted to. 

Recommendations: Everything bagel with jalapeño cheddar cream cheese, everything bagel with lox 

Chikalicious Dessert Bar

cake, chocolate, cream, pastry, sweet
Gwen Tan

If you know me, you'll understand my love for matcha. I'll eat it, drink it, digest it, anything that will let me drown myself in it. So it comes as no surprise that I would highly recommend the matcha crepe cake and matcha lava cake at this dessert bar. This is the perfect place for anyone who's passionate about food and enjoys indulging themselves in that occasional dessert. 

ice cream, ice, chocolate, cream, brownie
Gwen Tan

Recommendations: Crepe Cake, Chocolate Lava Cake

Midtown 

Totto Ramen

01 Totto Ramen NYC

jasonlam on Flickr

Step aside, Ippudo. Located in Hell's Kitchen, this tiny ramen shop is one of the best places to go to if you're looking for some A+ quality ramen. Totto ramen is known for their homemade noodles, combined with rich paitan chicken or pork bone broth, perfect for a cold winter's day.

If you're a vegetarian, don't worry! Their Vegetable Ramen is equally delicious and will definitely leave you wanting more. Don't just come back for the food though, Totto Ramen's throwback playlist makes the experience so much more memorable. The combination of pop music being played and a delicious bowl of ramen ramen makes the best digital seasoning for your meal. 

Recommendations: Chicken Paitan, Vegetable Ramen 

Williamsburg 

Okonomi/Yuji Ramen

chocolate
Gwen Tan

Okonomi by day, Yuji Ramen by night, this place is one that you won't want to miss out on your trip to New York. Okonomi's traditional omakase brunch is definitely the cleanse you've been looking for, from all of the heavy food that you'll probably be gorging yourself on. Heads up – be expected to wait for no less than an hour, as not only is it a tiny space, Okonomi's also incredibly popular amongst travellers and locals alike! 

beef, pork
Gwen Tan

Yuji Ramen is known for it's mazemen — a brothless style of ramen that incorporates a multitude of flavors and textures that come together and make for the perfect meal. 

Gwen Tan

Did I mention how incredibly beautiful the food presentation is? It almost made it too difficult for me to dig into the food.  

soup, ramen, noodle
Gwen Tan

Recommendations: Bacon & Egg Mazemen, Shabu Shabu Shio Ramen, Vegetable Mazemen 

One thing that I realised from my trip to New York is that the Japanese food is bomb af. which was surprising, since one would associate The Halal Guys, pizza and hot dogs. But with that being said, after making all of these new discoveries, if not for the beautiful landscape and the promise of glamour that New York brings, I'll definitely be back for the food. Now it's time for me to go into a food coma.