Key West—a place known for its crazy night life and unique aesthetic. Nothing is off limits when it comes to the fun that everyone has when they are there. However, something that you may not think when you think Key West is bomb.ass.food. 

With delicious breakfast spots, mind-blowing drinks, and the freshest seafood, Key West has it all packaged with a quirk that can only be attained in this single city.

coffee, beer
Madison Pessel

I was lucky enough to spend a day here with my cousins this past December. With so many options and so little time, it became my mission to eat at some of the best place. So here it is, the 5 best things to eat in Key West. 

1. Glazed Donut

chocolate
Madison Pessel

Start your day off right with some of the best donuts ever. They are super fresh, fluffy, and always hot. Not to mention they have some killer coffee.

Their featured donut is the Key Lime Pie donut, topped with meringue and filled with a key lime custard. Glazed Donuts doesn't stop there with the unique flavors. While I was there, I also tried a gingerbread donut, blood orange jelly donut, the original glazed, and the apple almond fritter. I now dream of going back to Glazed Donuts to enjoy one more apple fritter. 

2. D.J.'s Clam Shack

seafood, sandwich, lobster, bread, toast
Madison Pessel

You may have heard of this place before on a little t.v. show called Diners, Drive-ins', and Dives. Seriously, if Guy Fieri says it is good, I need to eat there.

I had the Maine lobster roll with a side of sweet potato fries and onion rings. And I think I inhaled it all in a matter of 5 minutes because it was insanely yummy! The chunks of whole lobster are lightly dressed with mayo are wrapped in a warm toasted bun that makes you want seconds.

sweet, potato, sweet potato
Madison Pessel

The sides are not to be forgotten though. They made some of the best fries and onion rings I have ever had. If you ever needed a reason to go to Key West, D.J.'s is a good enough reason. 

3. Sunset Pier  

beer, water
Madison Pessel

As the name claims, this is probably the best place to grab a drink and watch the sunset in paradise. Now while the mojitos were delicious, the atmosphere of this place was just as great.

Everyone here is relaxed listening to the live bands, watching the amazing boats sail by as the sunsets in a postcard fashion. Definitely stop here for a refreshing drink and amazing backdrop for the perfect Instagram pic. 

4. Thirsty Mermaid  

sauce, clam
Madison Pessel

This raw bar is an oyster lovers dream. My cousin, an oyster aficionado herself, loved this place. They had East and West coast oysters-which happen to have very different tastes I learned. The staff was fun and very knowledgable and I will be going back to explore more of their fresh menu. 

5. Better Than Sex

pastry, mousse, goody, candy, cake, sweet, cream, chocolate
Madison Pessel

Yup, you heard me right. This dessert and drinks bar makes a pretty big claim. They do manage to deliver on what they promise though.

With a 'sexy' atmosphere, it is a cool date night option. However, I think it is almost more fun to go with a bunch of friends, like I did. Their saucy dessert titles and erotic descriptions of menu items had me blushing in the dark booth. I'd recommend trying either the missionary crisp or, for my gluten-free friends, tongue bath truffle.

So there it is, the 5 best things to eat if you can only spend a day in Key West. If this list doesn't give you the excuse to go on vacation right now, I don't know what does.