I am an avocado lover and have been for as long as I can remember.  For the past few months my Instagram feed has been full of posts from Avocaderia, aka the first avocado bar in the US.  Naturally, I had to try it so I got on the subway and made my way out to Brooklyn.

The Restaurant

Avocaderia is located inside the Industry City Food Hall and features glass walls allowing you to peek into the shop before entering. Conveniently located near the D, R, and N trains, it is accessible from every borough.

wine, coffee, beer
Molly Gottesman

Avocaderia opened in April, and has been popular since. This trendy spot is serving up healthy and reasonably priced avocado themed meals. The service is quick- I waited less than five minutes for my food after ordering.  It is cafeteria style with no table service and seating outside of the restaurant.

The Food

The menu includes toasts, bowls, salads, and smoothies all made using fresh, ripe avocados.  I tried their "Let it Beet" toast (featured below) which combines beets and avocado to make an Instagram-worthy dish.  It was the most unique avocado toast I've tried, but in a good way.

I also sampled the "Mediterranean" toast (featured below), which was similar to avocado toast I've tried at other restaurants, but still delicious.  It incorporates fresh, sundried tomatoes and feta cheese that make for a perfectly balanced flavor profile.

salad, vegetable, tomato, pepper
Molly Gottesman

A new dish on Avocaderia's menu is the "Chocolate Mousse", which is a dessert made from avocados, coconut milk, and chocolate. I never would've guessed that it was vegan and contained nutrient-dense avocados. It tasted like a classic, dairy-filled chocolate mousse you would order for dessert at a fancy restaurant.

New York City is full of trendy health-food restaurants, and Avocaderia is worth the hype.  Whether you're a native New Yorker or a tourist visiting the Big Apple, stopping by Avocaderia is a must.