I grew up in New York City, and after moving to college in the Midwest, I miss the vast array of cuisines offered in the food-filled metropolis. What most don't know about NYC—besides that there's more to it than Midtown—is that the vegan scene is poppin'. Here's your guide to the best vegan restaurants in NYC, as told by a homesick New Yorker. Don't worry, love—I've got you covered.

Champs Diner

Say buh-bye to IHOP and how you doin' to Champs Diner, where you'll hardly believe all your favorites could be made vegan. Hangover Hashbrowns, Drunk Cowgirl Tofu Scramble—oh, and Confetti Pancakes? 

The Order: Hangover Hashbrowns—hashbrowns with soysage, tofu scramble, cheddar cheese, jalapeños, broccoli, scallions, sour cream.

By CHLOE

Bougie for Brunch? Probably the best knows of the best vegan restaurants in NYC, By CHLOE is dedicated to serving food free of dairy and animal products, opting for locally-sourced, sustainable ingredients. Your mornings just got glorious.

The Order: AB&B Toast—raw almond butter, bananas, pure maple syrup, seven-grain toast. Add one of their daily smoothies, and grab some sweet potato fries to go.

VITA Vegan Paradise

With a wall of murals depicting happy little animals, VITA reminds you the environmental impact of eating vegan—and with killer options for every meal of the day, they make it easy to push aside that steak. Swing in for tofu waffles and stay for a relaxed, stress-free atmosphere.

The Order: Tofu waffles—silken tofu waffles with berries and vegan cream. For lunch, get the Wild Mushroom Risotto—black truffle mushrooms with miso mascarpone.

May Kaidee NYC

Possibly the only vegan Thai joint, May Kaidee opened its first US location right in NYC, naturally. The owner, May, started out as an aspiring chef in Thailand. At age 14, she was turning her mother's recipes vegan as a means of supporting a healthier lifestyle. Oh, and she offers cooking classes where students eat what they make. 

The Order: "Seafood" Curry—Seitan fish, seaweed, carrot, onion, garlic, mushroom, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, baby corn and miso.

HeartBeet Eatery

I've walked past here a few times, but stopped when I realized, "Wait, what? A vegan place in Queens?" Turns out, Queens has more than fast food and delis. Not only is their window adorbs, but, in true NY fashion, HeartBeet offers vegan pizza. I'm like, still not over how great this place is.

The Order: Heart Beet Wrap—roasted mixed vegetables and tofu, topped with avocado and tahini dressing served in a whole wheat wrap.

Screamer's Pizzeria

Speaking of pizza, did you really visit NY if you didn't grab a slice? With seitan pepperoni and vegan cheese—hello mac & cheese slice—Screamer's Pizzeria offers all your favorites, even better than the originals.

The Order: White Slice—almond ricotta, vegan cheese, and oregano oil drizzle.

Superiority Burger

NYC is all about giving a unique twist to the mundane, hence the best vegan restaurants in NYC are sometimes deceptively familiar. As if a hipster opened a fast food joint, Superiority Burger has the best vegan burgers in the East Village. Run for cover, Shake Shack, the vegans are coming.

The Order: The Sloppy Dave—frizzled onions, bell peppers, tofu, and cumin.

Two Tablespoons

Dedicated to making wholesome vegetarian/vegan food, Two Tablespoons incorporates bold, striking flavors into each of their filling macro bowls. You know that friend who thinks vegans only eat boring tofu? Bring them here. The look on their face will be priceless.

The Order: Ginger Miso Noodle Bowl—edamame, cucumbers, carrots, baked tofu, roasted cabbage and peppers, topped with

ginger miso dressing.

Beyond Sushi

I have a deep, refined love for all things sushi, so when in Chelsea Market this is my go-to (which is saying something, because the Market has dozens of food places). I'd almost consider Beyond Sushi's plant-based sushi better than the traditional stuff. It's that amazing.

The Order: Mighty Mushroom Roll—six-grain rice, enoki mushrooms, baked tofu, braised shiitake, and micro arugula 

with shiitake truffle sauce. 

Franchia Vegan Cafe

This is one of those tiny gems tucked away in the stone walls of an endless Manhattan building. Not only is the decor stunning, but Franchia makes stone rice bowls. Heard of 'em? They come out still cooking, so the rice at the bottom browns as you eat. You'll burn your mouth, but, hey, at least water is free.

The Order: Crunchy Tempeh Stone bowl—crunchy organic tempeh, vegetables, and mushrooms over rice.

Blossom

Established in 2005 in a historic Chelsea Townhouse, Blossom brings animal-caring fare to their trendy, upscale locale. Their ingredients come from small, organic farmers to help you support a healthy lifestyle. Sexy forbidden tofu and mushroom scallops? Sounds like a date night to remember.

The Order: Port Wine Seitan—white mushrooms, tempura onion, garlic mashed potatoes, sautéed spinach. 

Red Bamboo

If you're looking for a down-to-earth vegan place without all the extravagance of most NYC restaurants, you can end your search right now. Red Bamboo breathes new life to your favorite super cheap comfort food, making it a must on the list of the best vegan restaurants in NYC. 

The Order: Buffalo Wings—famous soy wings marinated in a spiced citrus BBQ sauce, served with vegan sesame ranch dressing and celery sticks.

V Spot

Serving up Colombian dishes with a vegan twist, V Spot is your place to satisfy that late-night empanada craving with animal-compassionate, guilt-free goodness. Not only is the food unique, but the owner hosts a weekly comedy show and displays work from local artists. If you're looking for me, I'll be here having the time of my life.

The Order: Philly Empanada—house-made seitan, vegan mozzarella and cheddar cheese, mushrooms, onions and green peppers, served with zesty vegan mayo.

Bunna Cafe

Bunna Cafe specializes in coffee, which Ethiopians hold in such high regard within their culture they even have a ceremony dedicated to the caffeinated beverage. This cafe also serves nutritious, flavorful vegan fare, so you'll get a dose of culture and wellness, along with some breathtaking music and decor.

The Order: Get the Feast for Two and try all entrees available on the menu—shiro, misir wot, gomen, yatakilt alicha, keysir selata, and so much more!

Dirt Candy

If your local sweet shop served up the most delicious, meticulously cooked vegetables, it'd change its name to Dirt Candy. With dishes often featuring only a single ingredient, it takes a hell of a lot of confidence to go without all the added flair. Dirt Candy isn't shy. This is how vegetables were meant to be served.

The Order: Korean Fried Broccoli—basically it's crack in broccoli form. Also, share the Brussels Sprout Tacos—Brussels sprouts on a sizzling stone with lettuce wrappers and accompaniments. 

Mother of Pearl

First off, Tiki Bars are always a good time. But,when they offer vegan options as well, do you need more reason to get a little day-drunk? Mother of Pearl exudes Polynesian elegance while maintaining the fun, cute feel of a bar. And their fruit-and-veggie-centric menu? Totes Insta-worthy. 

The Order: Char Sui Buns—Jackfruit and shiitake mushroom buns. Oh, and the Shark Bite Cocktail—passion fruit, lemon, maraschino, dry curaçao, bourbon, rye, and tiki bitters.

Dr. Cow

I know what you're thinking. Tree nut...cheese? Why? How? Shh. No questions, only open minds and mouths. A place of unparalleled genius, Dr. Cow produces not only cheese, but milk, butter, and pastries—none including dairy. Is it magic? The taste definitely is, and even after a few bites, you'll need to go back for more. Just, you know, to convince yourself it was really that good.

The Order: Try the cashew cheeses—cashew, hemp seeds, hibiscus, and turmeric is a stand-out.

Confectionery

A newly-sprung vegan sweet shop opened by two girls with one dream, Confectionery produces organic, fair-trade chocolates and heartbreakingly adorable macarons. Usually made with egg-whites, vegan macarons are hard to come by, but these guys make it possible—and step it up with ice cream sandwiches. 'Nuff said.

The Order: Macaron Ice Cream Sandwich—available in churro, pistachio cardamom rose, and more!

The Cinnamon Snail

Food trucks crowd every corner in Manhattan, but none are quite like The Cinnamon Snail (or have a name as cute). Sure, they have your usual burger-made-vegan stuff, but the desserts are so good it hurts. Guess what they don't hurt—animals. Because they are 100% vegan. Damn straight.

The Order: The Cinnamon Snail—a vegan cinnamon roll. Dreams. Realized. 

Peacefood Cafe

Intent on nurturing the body and the soul, Peacefood Cafe makes some of the best cookies, muffins, and cakes, all free of eggs and dairy. With the hope of bring peace to the environment, one sugar-coated pastry at a time, it's hard not to stand by their passionate devotion to the vegan movement. 

The Order: Raw Key Lime Pie—young coconut, cashew, and avocado agave lime filling in an almond brazil nut crust.

Erin McKenna's Bakery

Erin McKenna had two goals when opening her bakery—create deliciousness without harmful ingredients, and have super cute uniforms. With chocolate brownies that melt in your mouth and not your arteries and an atmosphere reminiscent of a vintage bakery, I think we all can thank Erin for succeeding her mission on all accounts.

The Order: Brownies—chocolatey heaven with a melted, gooey center. 

Vegan or not, these places are worth the visit. The messages they promote and the stories they tell make them the best vegan restaurants in NYC. And, of course, you can't go wrong with quality, delicious food.