Say goodbye to your boring plates, it's time to welcome meals in bowls. If you've ever seen beautiful pictures of bowls filled with grains and multicoloured veggies, you'll know what I'm talking about. Macro bowls are all the thing these days, and why shouldn't they be? Not only do they taste delicious, they look oh-so-pretty. Whenever I come across Instagram pictures of macro bowls, I think to myself (a) damn that looks bomb and (b) I wonder if I'd be able to recreate it? 

What Are Macro Bowls?

Photo by Isidor Emanuel | Unsplash

iemanuel on unsplash

Well, it's eponymous title says it all. Macro bowls are referred to as such because they hit all your macronutrients: carbs, protein and fat. Whilst we cannot be sure when or why macro bowls are all the trend now, my guess is it has roots in Macrobiotics, a healthy way of eating popularized in the United States in the 90's.   

The Diet In a Nutshell

Photo by Sven Scheuermeier | Unsplash

sveninho on unsplash

Macrobiotics favours a plant-based diet (as a fellow vegetarian, I must tell you that this is my jam) of whole, cooked, organic foods and stresses the importance of reducing toxins. 

What to eat: Fruits, vegetables, sea veggies, whole grains 

What not to include: Dairy, eggs, poultry, red meat, and absolutely no artificial or processed foods.

6 Steps to Creating the Perfect Macrobiotic Bowl 

1. Grains 

Photo by Joshua Newton | Unsplash

joshuanewton on unsplash

Choose a whole grain and/or starch. Never skip this step. Grains provide a base for you to build up upon the rest of your bowl. Aim to fill 1/4 of your bowl with quinoa, brown rice, farro, barley, buckwheat, lentils or millet

2. Veggies
Photo by hey! Andrw | Unsplash

heyandrw on unsplash

Add fresh veggies and/or saute them. This makes up a bulk of the bowl, so be sure to use only the freshest veggies for a delicious bowl

The type of veggies you use can vary according to the season, but try to include brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes (highly recommend), bell peppers, red onions, carrots, cauliflowers, seaweed, corn, edamame, beetroots. If you want your bowl to look pretty, try to fill at least 1/2 of your bowl with 3-5 different coloured vegetables.

3. Raw Leafy Greens

Photo by Scott Webb | Unsplash

scottwebb on unsplash

Add raw leafy greens. My absolute favourite part of the bowl because guess what? I get to use kale which, by the way, happens to be one of my favourite vegetables. This superfood packs in a ton of nutrition, and it'll leave your body feeling happy.

Possible leafy greens to include in your bowl include kale, spinach, spring mix lettuce and arugula. Combined with other veggies, this should fill at least 1/2 of your bowl.

4. Pick a protein

Proteins

FootMassagez on Flickr

It's super important to throw some protein into your bowl for a wholesome meal. For vegetarians and vegans, try filling 1/4 of your bowl with tofu, tempeh, seitan or beans.

5. Dressing

hummus

stu_spivack on Flickr

When all else fails, use tahini dressing mixed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Other options include hummus, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce or BBQ sauce.

6. Optional toppings

Photo by Rachael Gorjestani | Unsplash

rachaelgorjestani on unsplash

If you're feeling bougie, try adding some sprouts to top off your bowl, or fermented veggies such as kimchi or even pickles. Don't forget nuts and seeds too, I usually add dried cranberries, walnuts and/or almonds for that extra crunch.

For Some Inspiration 

Photo by Monstruo Estudio | Unsplash

monstruoestudio on unsplash

1. Deliciously Ella's Rejuvenating Bowl are great whenever you're feeling a little bloated and unhealthy. 

2. Get–Healthy Macro Bowl: This oh-so-simple but delicious recipe will make you fall in love after just one bite. 

3. If you're craving something with an Asian twist, try this Buddha Bowl with Spinach, Marinated Tofu, Kimchi and Soy–Miso Dressing 

4. This Brown Rice Miso Macro Bowl includes all the necessary fiber, carbohydrates, proteins and healthy fats. It looks and tastes so effortlessly good that no one will suspect it only takes less than 10 minutes to put together.  

5. Nourish Bowl: A perfect meal-in-a-bowl and completely nourishing if you choose your toppings wisely. 

So there you have it. A foolproof way to construct the best macrobiotic bowl that will change your life. Get creative, have fun, and be sure to take a ton of pictures of your food.