For an ice cream brand I’ve never even been able to try, Van Leeuwen has sure caught my attention lately. Since the release of its Espresso ice cream for popstar Sabrina Carpenter’s single by the same name, I’ve been dying to get my hands on a pint. Unfortunately, my home state of Pennsylvania doesn’t have any stores. This reality has only become even more devastating after the announcement of its newest exclusive flavor, inspired by the harbinger of all things cute: Hello Kitty herself.

So, what does the Van Leeuwen Hello Kitty ice cream taste like?

The flavor is called Yummy Berry White Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream. The ice cream is supposed to look a little bit like the iconic kitty, with a white chocolate base, raspberry jam accents meant to emulate her bow, and chocolate truffle pieces for her eyes and whiskers.

Perhaps the best part of the flavor isn’t the way it tastes at all though, but the story behind it. The brand revealed that 50% percent of profits would be donated to charity, meant to represent Hello Kitty’s spirit of friendship and kindness. As a dedicated Sanrio fan, this aspect really touched my heart, and feels very in line with what these characters are meant to represent.

When does the Van Leeuwen Hello Kitty ice cream come out?

Here’s the catch. The ice cream is unfortunately available for one day only at this point. That day is National Ice Cream Day on Sunday, July 21, so be sure to mark that in your calendars if you have a local Van Leeuwen. While the brand is based in New York and most of the stores are located there, this flavor will be available nationwide on the anticipated day.

However, the Tribeca shop in New York will get to experience a pop-up event in addition to the ice cream. Any customer visiting will get the chance to try exclusive sundae and shake flavors, as well get access to special Hello Kitty merch and complementary friendship bracelets from Little Words Project. Little Words Project was specifically designed around a giving mindset, and with Van Leeuwen’s focus on feel-good ice cream, these brands were a match made in heaven.

Why Hello Kitty?

I think it's about time Hello Kitty have her own ice cream flavor, (an upgrade from her often mutilated ice cream truck popsicles) but these unique tie-ins are commonplace for Van Leeuwen. Besides Sabrina Carpenter’s ice cream, the ice cream brand has done many gag flavors, such as Ranch with Hidden Valley and Mac and Cheese with Kraft. They even did a Glass Onion flavor for the movie! I love this type of marketing, and even if I never have a chance to try Van Leeuwen myself, I know I’ll continue to be intrigued by their creative ideas and flavor profiles.