Spoon University Logo
chick fil a
chick fil a
News

Don’t Worry, Chick-fil-A Is Keeping The Waffle Fries

Introduced in 1985, waffle fries have since become Chick-fil-A’s most ordered item, being the only fast food chain that serves waffle fries. The shape of these crispy delicacies gives customers “more dipping power for their buck.” McDonald’s tried to get on the waffle fry bandwagon in 2023, briefly testing waffle fries but the salty side was never added as a permanent menu item. It’s hard to imagine Chick-fil-A offering any other type of fry, right? Chick-fil-A is shaking things up by testing a new fry shape that could make its way to the fast food chain’s permanent menu: the good ol’ traditional cut french fries.

Is Chick-fil-A getting rid of waffle fries?

No. Chick-fil-A told People, “Guests do not need to worry – our much-loved Waffle Fries are not going anywhere!”

Concerns came when content creator Briana (@bri.daniela1) posted a video on TikTok two days ago of her eating “normal fries” in a Chick-fil-A uniform with the caption, “Me bc they took away waffle fries” with a sad face emoji. This video has over 2.7 million views with the comment section flooded with panic and confusion such as “Don’t even play like that” and “say sike RIGHT NOW.”

In a follow-up video, Briana stated that she wasn’t serious about the discontinuation of its waffle fries and it was just a disembodied fry at the bottom of the box.

The fast food chain is, however, working on a new waffle fry recipe at select U.S. locations. According to Chick-fil-A’s website, the recipe change is to make the waffle fries crispier through “a blend of starches.” In the OG recipe, the waffle fries are cooked in canola oil until crispy outside and tender inside, then sprinkled with sea salt. This change isn’t permanent yet, but Chick-fil-A wants to hear from its customers, you can submit your feedback here

Is Chick-fil-A testing another type of fry?

Chick-fil-A’s test kitchen, Little Blue Menu, announced on Instagram in mid-July that they are experimenting with traditional cut fries.

To try these fries for yourself, you can find Little Blue Menu in College Park, MD, or order through the Chick-fil-A app. There’s also a Little Blue Menu food truck based in Athens, GA. There you can order the classics as well as other items that are being tested, such as pizza, burgers, wings and now french fries.

There has been no official statement from Chick-fil-A that its staple waffle fries are on their way out, so we can all relax. The possible inclusion of traditional cut french fries, just means Chick-fil-A lovers have more options, and who doesn’t love options?

Hi! My name is Julia Lagano and I am a senior at Virginia Tech studying Multimedia Journalism, French with a minor in Italian. Born and raised in Springfield, VA, I grew up doing dive and being a benchwarmer for my high school's lacrosse team. I knew I was destined for food journalism when I made monthly food review packages for my school's broadcasting class (A/V nerd). Flash forward to college, I started as a Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise major but chemistry is not my strong suit...at all. You can catch me on the airwaves during the school year on the student-run radio station at VT! I love music: rock, 90s hiphop (please don't make me choose between Tupac and Biggie Smalls, they're both good), R&B, jazz, soul, you name it. Outside of school, I enjoy traveling, cooking and baking, reading, movie nights, drawing, shopping, and sewing. I like to pretend that I am an expert in sewing which sets me up for failure when I attempt to rework clothes. I have a goal to read 20 books this year but I'm currently behind schedule on that (oops).