Before I moved to North Carolina to attend Duke, I had never tried Chick-fil-A. Coming from the West coast which chains like In-N-Out have made their feeding grounds, it was hard to justify driving more than thirty-minutes for some fried chicken. Plus, there was always the steady Kentucky Fried Chicken—right?

Wrong. So Wrong.

So, from one new member of the Chick-fil-A family to another, I wanted to offer some tips—from choosing menu items to pairing sauce flavors— to make your first visit to Chick-fil-A the best one.

1. Play the Game Simple

The power of good food is found in its simplicity. The trick to a good Chick-fil-A first time experience is finding that simplicity. Deluxe Chicken Sandwiches are without a doubt delicious, but start your experience the right way and go with a classic Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich. Unlike the Deluxe, which overloads your tastebuds with leafy greens, juicy tomatoes, and rich cheese, the original Chicken Sandwich provides a more humble base of mayo and pickles. This allows the flavor and texture of the tender yet crispy chicken to shine through. Some variations can definitely be made. If you love spicy foods, feel free to go for the brother of this entrée, the Spicy Chicken Sandwich. And of course, don't forget a side of their classic waffle fries

2. One Word: NUGGETS

I like nuggets. You probably like nuggets. I don't think anyone dislikes nuggets. However, the nuggets at Chick-fil-A are to die for. These golden bite-size pieces of chicken breast are juicy and flavorfully seasoned. With a breaded exterior, they provides a crunch that mingles incredibly well with the moist inside.

3. Get Lost in THE Sauce

That's right, not the sauce but THE sauce: Chick-fil-A sauce. We often take for granted this honey-mustard based sauce, but there was a time in history when the store did not hold sauces at all. We can thank Hugh Fleming, a former owner and operator of a Chick-fil-A in Fredericksburg, Virginia for bringing all the sauce into our lives. Due to a large client's demand for nugget dipping sauces, Fleming and his employees rapidly put together what would become one of the most delicious sauces there are on the face of this planet. A combination of savory and creamy sweet, this sauce compliments everything chicken on the menu.

4. Hydrate Properly

The two most common choices for a first time are lemonade or a shake. If you're feeling something tangy, the refreshing Chick-fil-A lemonade will quench your thirst. This lemonade is Freshly-squeezed, tangy but not too sour. Without a doubt, this is my personal go to drink at Chick-fil-a. However, if you have a sweet tooth and desire something more substantial Chick-fil-A also offers Cookies and Cream Milkshakes that are the perfect amount of thickness and liquidity. Blended to order, these shakes are bound to satisfy whatever sugar-cravings you desire.

Of course, none of the suggestions above are mandatory. If you're feeling that grilled chicken, go for it! However, if you're like me and love tasting the most iconic experience whenever you go to a restaurant for the first time, this list walks you through it all.