The Whole Foods hot bar is like a holy ground for people who love the taste of homemade, healthyish food made from 100% recognizable ingredients. Depending on your local Whole Foods location, the hot bar can hold anywhere from a dozen to over 50 dishes made on-location. 

Keep in mind, the Whole Foods hot bar does change, but there are generally a steady stream of favorites that they like to rotate. These consist of a drool-worthy rotation of dishes from a variety of origins. On any given day, you can find dishes from Southern American, Middle Eastern, and French cuisine, all available for your little brown box.

Personally, I find the variety a little overwhelming. I always want a little bit of everything, but that doesn't always taste the best once I get around to eating my hot bar box. I've found that the best way to construct a Whole Foods hot bar plate is to pick one item I'm really craving, then build the rest of my plate to fit that flavor.

Whether you're a Whole Foods hot bar expert or a newbie, having a starting point can help you to construct a delicious and reasonably-priced hot bar box. Here's a recommendation for what to try on your next visit, courtesy of the stars. 

Aries (March 21-April 19): Roasted Chicken Breast

You really love competition, but that's because you always make sure that you're number one. Roasted chicken breast, which comes in a variety of flavors from jerk to barbecue to cajun, is the single most popular item on the Whole Foods hot bar. That makes it the perfect match for an Aries.

Taurus (April 20-May 20): Mashed Potatoes

You are a big fan of soothing aromas and flavors. Mashed potatoes not only have a soft, creamy texture that's soothing on the tongue, but they also have a nostalgic smell that will bring any Taurus back to cooking in their grandma's kitchen.

Gemini (May 21-June 20): Quinoa

wheat, cereal, porridge, buckwheat, corn, millet, groats, quinoa, couscous
Christin Urso

You're known by everyone as a jack of all trades. You have a variety of hobbies that you enjoy simultaneously while you explore different career paths every year or so. That's why such a versatile ingredient as quinoa is the perfect base for your little brown box. You can take the flavor in any direction that you choose.

Cancer (June 21-July 22): Tofu

No matter where you go, Cancer, you can easily pick up and absorb the energy of the room. Tofu is the perfect ingredient to match that aspect of your personality because, no matter what sauce it's cooked in, it soaks it up and takes on its delicious flavor.

Keep your eyes peeled for favorites such as Kung Pao Tofu, miso tofu, and sweet chili tofu to get a healthy punch of plant-based protein without sacrificing flavor.

Leo (July 23-Aug. 22): Mac and Cheese

Admit it, Leo. You like to bask in the spotlight. When you're not the center of your friend group's attention or hitting the stage for a performance, you'll want to chow down on the most beloved Whole Foods hot bar staple. Mac and Cheese has become so popular that some Whole Foods locations have an entire bar full of different flavors of the cheesy stuff. 

Virgo (Aug. 23-Sep. 22): Roasted Seasonal Veggies

Despite the jokes that you often got to loosen up, you'll never lose your logical and practical side, Virgo. In this case, that's a good thing. The Whole Foods hot bar takes advantage of whatever vegetables are in season and adds seasoning to make what seems to be an always-improving hot bar option that you'll want to get in on. 

Libra (Sep. 23-Oct. 22): Chicken Wings

Somehow the Whole Foods hot bar manages to make a wide variety of chicken wing flavors that are perfectly balanced. Customer favorites include lemon pepper and mandarin sweet and sour that are just spicy enough without being overpowering. As a lover of equilibrium, all the Libras in the house will fully appreciate their perfection.

Scorpio (Oct. 23-Nov. 21): Tiki Masala

Although you often struggle with feeling misunderstood at the beginning of relationships, you always manage to work it out Scorpio. Tiki Masala is often passed over by Whole Foods customers who aren't familiar with the item, but I promise that once you give it a try once, you'll understand why it's become a Whole Foods hot bar staple in both chicken and chickpea varieties.

Sagittarius (Nov. 22- Dec. 21): Quiche

If you get your nose out of your book for a few minutes and head to your local Whole Foods hot bar, you're going to want to pick up one of their quiche flavors. Depending on the season, the classical high-brow French dish can come in broccoli and cheddar, bacon and Swiss, or spinach and feta varieties. 

Capricorn (Dec. 22- Jan. 19): Lasagna

parmesan, lasagna, pasta, sauce, cheese
Christy Luong

Just like someone born under the Capricorn sign that is said to age backwards, lasagna gets better with age. Somehow when you heat it back up, all the flavors of the sausage or vegetarian varieties meld together even better than when it was first assembled. This also makes it the perfect hot bar item.

Aquarius (Jan. 20- Feb. 18): Chicken Noodle Soup

If you ever get a break from being the humanitarian that you are, treat yourself to the most classic dish from around the world that helps others heel. No matter what time of year it is, the Whole Foods hot bar is guaranteed to have a chicken noodle soup that will take care of any Aquarius like they take care of others. 

Pisces (Feb. 19- March 20): Romesco Squash

Being the final zodiac sign, Pisces has the advantage of learning from others' mistakes. This means always seeing the good and the bad, the positive and the negative. There's no dish that more perfectly demonstrates this division in your life like the romanesco squash, with green zucchini and yellow summer squash.

Now that you've got a starting point, feel free to go crazy with the rest of your local Whole Foods hot bar selection. And don't forget that there are probably just as many dishes available in the salad bar selection to fill out your meal. Just keep in mind that the Whole Foods hot bar is priced by weight. Try to fill your plate with delicious items that are not super dense, or the price will add up quickly.

Rolling up to the Whole Foods hot bar can be like opening up presents on Christmas Day if you go in with a plan. Hopefully this helped to inspire your next brown box.

#SpoonTip: Every Monday, I take advantage of the #MeatlessMonday special at my local Whole Foods, which gives me the opportunity to fill a plate with vegetarian dishes at the hot bar for only $8.