With a vast selection at only $8 per pound of food (regardless of the item), the Whole Foods deli is a convenient, semi-gourmet food stop. In order to help you determine the best bang for your buck, we tried all of the foods (it amounted to around $21) offered at the deli-bar. Although the menu changes slightly from day to day, here are a few options that are definitely worth purchasing when available.

White Fish with Capers, Tomato, and Basil

Fish

Photo by Naib Mian

We were surprised by how well this was cooked — you would normally expect fish that’s sitting in a double-boiler for more than 4 hours to be rubbery, but this fish is tender and flakey with a touch of citrusy-herb seasoning.

Herb-roasted Cauliflower

Cauliflower

Photo by Naib Mian

Deliciously savory, like a roasted potato without the heavy starchiness.

Peruvian Butternut Squash Stew

Butternut Squash

Photo by Naib Mian

This was a winner. The squash was cooked just right (not overly mushy), with a spicy cream sauce.

Greek Potatoes with Lemon Vinaigrette

Potatoes

Photo by Naib Mian

Surprisingly, these potatoes tasted like they had just come out of the oven, and their seasoning was spot-on. No sogginess here!

Eggless Tofu Salad

Eggless Tofu

Photo by Naib Mian

We were hestitant about this one. Veganaise? What? However, leave it to Whole Foods to make something like this work. The veganaise tasted like a creamy yogurt dressing with subtle flavors of curry. A good choice for vegans looking for an extra protein boost.

Kale Avocado Salad

Kale Salad

Photo by Naib Mian

The kale was crisp, fresh, and coated in a light avocado dressing — guacamole meets a California salad.

Overall the Whole Foods Deli is often overlooked as an affordable, unconventional and tasty option for a quick grab-and-go dinner. Make sure you try some of these dishes next time you make your next grocery run.