Having a fast metabolism isn't just beneficial for losing weight. In fact, a fast metabolism helps rid your body of toxins, improves blood circulation, mood, and immunity while also promoting younger-looking skin. Unfortunately, metabolism slows with age, causing frustration for many people. A slow metabolism has several negative consequences such as chronic fatigue, weight gain and high cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure.

Luckily, while it may seem difficult, diet changes have the ability to significantly improve your metabolism. Breakfast is known to be one of the most important meals of the day, and therefore eating a healthy, well-balanced breakfast can speed up your metabolism.

chocolate, pastry, cream, egg, cake, sweet
Caty Schnack

Breakfast is by far my favorite meal. I never miss it for anything and always try to make it one of the healthiest meals I eat during the day. Over the years, I've noticed that my metabolism has in fact sped up by eating the right foods to start my day.

On a typical morning, I like to eat eggs or oatmeal with an English muffin and a banana. This keeps me energized throughout the morning, and when I have extra time I like to pair this with a warm cup of green tea with honey. With that being said, here are a few things you should eat and drink for breakfast if you have a slow metabolism.

1. Oatmeal

blueberry, cereal, sweet, milk, yogurt, muesli, oatmeal, berry, porridge
Becky Hughes

Oatmeal contains slow-releasing carbs, giving you energy for a longer period of time. It also speeds up metabolism by stabilizing your insulin levels, as high insulin levels signal your body to store extra fat.

Oatmeal also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which help decrease the production of a hormone that lowers your metabolism, called leptin. In addition to providing all of these benefits for your metabolism, oatmeal comes in many different flavors and varieties and is quick and easy to make. 

2. Green Tea

tea, coffee, espresso
Jessica Payette

Green Tea contains powerful antioxidants, and drinking three to five cups a day has the ability to increase your body's overall metabolic rate. This tea is also very versatile and comes in many different varieties and flavors. For example, you can add sugar, honey, mint, and ginger to add a new twist to your tea. It also comes in many flavors from the grocery store such as lemon and pomegranate.

3. Greek Yogurt

Susanna Mostaghim

Greek yogurt is packed with calcium and contains double the amount of protein found in regular yogurt. The large amount of protein will help keep you full for a longer period of time, and the calcium will help improve your metabolism. There are so many flavors of Greek yogurt to choose from, including strawberry, mixed berry, and even coffee, so you're sure to find the right flavor for you.

4. Grapefruit

juice, grapefruit, citrus, lemon
Justin Schwebel

Grapefruit contains a large amount of vitamin C, a valuable nutrient that reduces insulin spikes, preventing your body from storing extra fat. There are many ways to eat a grapefruit, including in a salad or sorbet, making this pink fruit easy to work into your diet.

5. Pear

pear, pasture, apple, juice, sweet
Meghan Buonanno

Pears contain high levels of pectin, a polysaccharide that binds to water and limits the amount of fat the body can absorb. They are also an excellent source of fiber and can be easily added to many dishes.

6. Eggs

egg, chicken
Emma Salters

Eggs are a great source of protein, omega 3-fatty acids, and iron, which your metabolism needs to function at its best. They also contain chromium, a mineral your body needs for blood sugar regulation. Finally, they are easy to incorporate into almost every meal.

7. Avocado

avocado, vegetable, guacamole
Samantha Territo

Avocado is rich in protein, fiber, and chromium. It also contains healthy fats that keep you full for a long period of time. In addition, like several of the foods listed above, it is also very easy to incorporate into many different kinds of meals.

Having a slow metabolism can not only be annoying, but also comes with several serious health concerns. However, taking steps such as diet changes and exercise can significantly speed up your metabolism and leave you feeling more energized and healthy.