France is known for its food worldwide. Croissants, foie gras, poulet roti, macarons... I could list iconic French foods for an entire paragraph. But, upon returning to Paris this January, I was eager to experience more than just the classics when it comes to French food.

Despite having a reputation of being snobby about their infamous cuisine, the French are currently experiencing a new and modern food movement which they refer to as "Le Fooding." Think less traditional French food, with a greater focus on simple and higher-quality ingredients. The following is a list of restaurants that span all types and styles of cuisine, arranged by neighborhood and arrondissement.

1e: Ô Chateau

The people of France take their wine very seriously, so what better place to do a tasting? Despite wine being mostly just an accompaniment to food for the French, wine bars have increased in popularity over the past few years. The sommelier I had was very entertaining and the tasting ended up being much more informative than any I've done here in the States. It also included some French jambon and cheese, because what's any activity without snacks?

#SpoonTip: Be sure to check out the nearby Église St. Eustache and Forum Des Halles, a former outdoor marketplace turned underground mall.

Montorgeuil, 2e: Bianco

The great thing about Europe is that you can find so many restaurants serving all types of European cuisines. Come to Bianco for a break from all those croissants and enjoy your own personal frying pan of pasta. 10/10 would recommend the pesto.

Sentier, 2e: Frenchie Bar à Vins

You may not be able to afford a meal at Gregory Marchand's flagship Paris restaurant Frenchie, but you can absolutely afford some wine and small plates next door at his wine bar. Bring a friend and split the mushroom ravioli or lamb pappardelle and appreciate just how cheap decent wine is in Europe.

#SpoonTip: Marchand has another, more casual takeout restaurant called Frenchie To Go that serves breakfast and lunch (try the reuben or pulled pork sandwiches). 

2e: Le Mesturet

Situated between the Opera and the Louvre, Le Mesturet is a great place to get a good meal before or after a day of sightseeing. Be sure to try the escargot-stuffed mushrooms, which is quite possibly the most garlicky, buttery dish I've ever consumed. 

Le Marais, 4e: L'as du fallafel

You can't go to Paris without trying L'as. This place has recently blown up on social media, and for good reason. They truly have the best falafel I've ever tasted in my life. Be sure to order yours with both la sauce blanche and la sauce piquante (white and spicy sauces) and l'aubergine (eggplant) on top. Work on digesting this monster of a meal by walking over to the Centre Pompidou afterwards for some modern art.

#SpoonTip: Ordering from the to-go window is cheaper than sitting down inside.

Le Marais, 4e: Miznon

I've never felt more hip and trendy than when I was sitting at the counter of Miznon eating a lamb kebab pita. The inside is small and eccentrically decorated with all different types of vegetables, which make up a large portion of their menu. Besides their pitas, their other speciality is an entire head of roasted cauliflower which I will be sure to try on my next trip to the City of Lights.

#SpoonTip: Miznon is open on both Sundays and Mondays, days when many other stores and restaurants are closed in Paris.

Odéon, 6e: La Bastide Odéon

Pictured above is some pea soup that perfectly demonstrates the magic of France. I have never liked pea soup, ever. But when this stuff was placed in front of me during my first meal in Paris, I gave it a chance, mostly because I was starving. To my surprise, it was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed it (that bacon though...). The point to this story: everything tastes better in Paris. Also, if you eat here, order the pea soup.

7e: L'affriolé

I've eaten a lot of good food in my 22 years, but the pig's feet croquettes I ate at L'affriolé probably rank in the top three of the best things I've ever eaten. This place is also the perfect example of how affordable gourmet dining in Paris can be. A three-course meal (the standard meal structure in most Parisian restaurants) will only run you about 40 euros.

Madeleine, 8e: Ladurée

Feeling bougie? Stop at Ladurée for tea and it will be the most elegant two hours of your life. While the one on the Champs-Elysées is the one most tourists hit, the storefront in Madeleine is actually the original and is far less crazy. Be sure to make a reservation online ahead of time to avoid waiting in an absurd line, and don't leave without trying a rose petal macaron.

#SpoonTip: As long as you're in the area, check out the Opera Garner, parts of which are inspired by Versailles.

Les Grands Boulevards, 9e: Bouillon Chartier

The place to go when you're looking for that classic Parisian bistro vibe. I'll admit, the food is pretty average, but the atmosphere really takes it to the next level – the walls are mirrored and the waiters are dressed up in classic French fashion. Be sure to order the hardboiled eggs with tomato and mayonnaise as an app. Yes, this sounds weird, but I promise it tastes amazing thanks to the super high quality of French mayo.

République, 10e: Du pain et des idées

You can find good pastries and breads all throughout Paris, but Du pain et des idées goes above and beyond your average croissant. Their escargots (not actual snails, just spiral-shaped pastries) are their most popular item, specifically the pistachio-chocolate flavor. Get there earlier in the day to ensure they don't run out because you will most definitely be sad if you miss out on this Parisian specialty.

Belleville, 11e: Pho Dông Huông

Belleville is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Paris, and that surely applies to the food as well. There's an especially large Vietnamese population there, so you know that any restaurant you walk into is legit. Grab a bowl of pho at Dong Huong and then walk it off with a stroll to the Parc de Belleville on top of the hill for a great panoramic view of the city.

Montparnasse, 15e: Le Ciel de Paris at Montparnasse Tower

Located on the 56th floor of the Tour Montparnasse, this restaurant arguably has one of the best views in Paris for two reasons: 1) It has a 360 degree view of the city, and 2) that view doesn't include the Tour Montparnasse, which, as the only skyscraper in Paris, is a huge eyesore and pretty much single-handedly ruins the skyline. Le Ciel is swanky, so play the part and order the foie gras terrine. 

Montmartre, 19e: Le refuge des fondues

If you're looking for a good meal as well as a good time, this is the place for you. Le refuge is truly unique — I don't think there's anywhere else in the world where you'll be served wine in baby bottles while eating fondue. This may also be the best deal in Paris: an appetizer, cheese or meat fondue, dessert, and wine will cost you only 22 euros.

#SpoonTip: Be sure to check out a cabaret show while in this neighborhood, the home of Moulin Rouge.

Paris is a dynamic food city that goes way beyond croissants and escargot (although those are both delicious and I would encourage you to eat them as much as possible). Next time you're there, be sure to hit a few of these places but don't be afraid to explore and find your own personal favorites, because that's what the true Paris is all about. Bon appétit and bon voyage.